× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Toshiba Hard disk is failing often in ReadyNas 4220

Jyothish
Aspirant

Toshiba Hard disk is failing often in ReadyNas 4220

Hi Team,

We are facing repeated hard disk failures in our Readynas boxes.We have recently purchased all this and the model using is ReadyNas 316 (6 Bay storage) and ReadyNas 4220 (12 Bay storage). The hard disk we using here is Toshiba Enterprise hard disk (4 TB) and Toshiba Desktop Hard disk (4 TB). 

Since the problem started after a couple of weeks and almost we replaced more then 10 hard disks due to hard disk failure. We sent everytime these failed hard disk to toshiba team to replace and as per them hard disk test is passed and not detected any single point of errors. 

Scenario-1

Recently one of  our storage crashed due to 2 hard disk failures while rebuilding. This is bcoz of reallocated sectors and ata errors found in toshiba Desktop disk.  The sama ATA error and reallocated sectors problem i faced in other couple of storages while expanding the capacity but by lucky the storage was safe. Now i am very scared to expand the capacity after the crash.

We have Other netgear Storages with same model that we using seagate hard disk and there is no Disk failures happened since last 1 year.Firmware we are using in most of the devices are 6.4.0 and 6.4.1.

Still we are not not able to findout the root cause of the issue and we are really screw up of this issue. We are not sure either the Toshiba hard disk is not supporting in this Netgear Model or could have some problem while i/o activity waiting for something and it creates the sector errors. Our files most of them storing  are jpeg and photoshop files. Please check the hard disk model and rpm for your reference.

Hard disk model: Toshiba MG03ACA400 , RPM 7200 (Enterprise Disk), Toshiba MD03ACA400V, RPM 7200 (Desktop Hard disk)

Heres is the logs from drive failed happened today morning. Model : Readynas 4220 and drive failed is enterprise disk.

Thu Mar 24 2016 5:48:25
Backup: Successfully completed backup job closed.
Thu Mar 24 2016 5:46:58
Backup: Successfully completed backup job 2016-ipg-files.
Thu Mar 24 2016 5:15:19
Backup: Successfully completed backup job bak.
Thu Mar 24 2016 5:06:03
Disk: Disk in channel 9 (Internal) changed state from ONLINE to FAILED.
Thu Mar 24 2016 4:41:01
Backup: Successfully completed backup job Orders_QC.
Thu Mar 24 2016 4:39:59

Backup: Successfully completed backup job 49_orders.

I would appreciate any thoughts or reccommendations!

Model: RN422X124|ReadyNAS 4220 10Gbase-T (12x4TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You are seeing bad sectors?  Or is SMART (or the logs) giving you a different error?

Message 2 of 9
Jyothish
Aspirant

Failed hard disk not showing any bad sectors. but the other case ATA error is showing when adding the hard disks. We are often getting error msg "Hard disk is failed."

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Jyothish wrote:

Failed hard disk not showing any bad sectors. but the other case ATA error is showing when adding the hard disks. We are often getting error msg "Hard disk is failed."

ATA errors are harder to isolate, since they can be the disk, the NAS hardware or even the software drivers.

If the drives pass the vendor diagnostics, you will probably need someone from Netgear to analyze the logs.

If spindown is enabled, perhaps try disabling it.

Message 4 of 9
Jyothish
Aspirant

Spindown is disabled only. What are the precautions we takecare to avoid this type of issues and please someone from netgear to analyze the logs and findout what is the root cause of this issue ?

Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Also, you are using enterprise disks in the RN4220, right? Desktop disks are not designed for use in rackmount models.

Message 6 of 9
Jyothish
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

i sent the logs to your mail id. Please check once. We are using enterprise hard disks in ReadyNas 4220.

Model: RN4220X|ReadyNAS 4220 10Gbase-T
Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I hear you are already following up with support on this.

Message 8 of 9
Jyothish
Aspirant

Yes, its been 2 months and not able to findout the root cause. Still we suffering bcoz of this issue.

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements