× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: UPS for ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v1

Jolberg
Aspirant

UPS for ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v1

Hello all.

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice on a suitable UPS for my ReadyNAS.  I've attached a picture of the model details which I believe to be confusing as it states the model to be a v2 but I think I've ready somewhere that it is actually a v1.  It's running firmware version 4.1.16 and is saying it's the latest version.

I also ready somewhere that APC UPSs typically work with ReadyNAS but read a document from APC that said that Powerchute doesn't work for sparc versions which I believe mine to be.

I really want a UPS which is able to shutdown the ReadyNAS in the event of a power failure and I'm not overly fussed about length of time it can run on batteries.

I would also like to be able to put the UPS in a small DIY home networking cupboard so it would not have much space around the unit.

If anyone can offer some advice I'd be very greatful as I'm finding it very difficult trying to work out what will do what I want it to.

Thanks in advance.

Jol

Model: RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo 1TB (1 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Jolberg wrote:

I've attached a picture of the model details which I believe to be confusing as it states the model to be a v2 but I think I've ready somewhere that it is actually a v1.  It's running firmware version 4.1.16 and is saying it's the latest version.

It's definitely a v1.  The v2 NAS all run 5.x.x firmware.

@Jolberg wrote:

I also ready somewhere that APC UPSs typically work with ReadyNAS but read a document from APC that said that Powerchute doesn't work for sparc versions which I believe mine to be.

I think to some degree the best choice depends on the country you are in (more specifically the power).  I'm in the US, and use Cyberpower UPS myseld.  But many people do go with APC.

Your NAS won't use powerchute - it uses a package called "NUT" - Network UPS Tools.  The folks who supply that package have their own compatibility list here: https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html  But based on posts here,  I think pretty much any APC NAS that has a USB output cable will work.

Mabye start on the APC website (or competing manufacturers), and find some models that meet your space requirements.  Then see if they are on the NUT compatibility list (or see if you can find any posts on those models here).  Note you can search the forum with google, just add site:community.netgear.com to the end of the search string.

Message 2 of 4
Jolberg
Aspirant

Thank-you very much for your answer.
Should I be concerned about the support level from the NUT compatability list?
The APC ones are generally 1 or 2. I could find a suitable Eaton model which has level 5. Does that mean it will be simpler to get working. I’m a total novice to this game so the simpler the better.
Thanks
Jol
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Jolberg wrote:
Thank-you very much for your answer.
Should I be concerned about the support level from the NUT compatability list?
The APC ones are generally 1 or 2. I could find a suitable Eaton model which has level 5. Does that mean it will be simpler to get working. I’m a total novice to this game so the simpler the better.

I've never used their support level info , so I honestly don't know.

Basically the UPS will either work when you plug it in, or not - that's not a lot you can to do to troubleshoot it unless you are skilled with ssh.

There are people who've used Eaton UPS here, so perhaps search the forum for the specific model you are considering.  It's easiest to search with Google (adding site:community.readynas.com to the search string).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements