× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB 2.0 faster than USB 3.0

fussballninja
Aspirant

USB 2.0 faster than USB 3.0

Good day everyone

I own the ReadyNAS 102 with 2x 1TB WD Green harddrives. I want to move some movies (60GB) from the NAS to my external harddrive (2,5" Toshiba Stor.E 1 TB). When I use the USB 2.0 slot I have a speed of 2,77 MB/s. When I use the USB 3.0 slots in the back of the device I recieve speeds UNDER 2,5 MB/s. How is this possible? I'm moving the data right from the NAS to the external Harddrive. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me? Because there are still 300 GB of movies waiting to be moved...
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: USB 2.0 faster than USB 3.0

What version of ReadyNAS OS are you running?

What filesystem is on the USB disk?

How are you moving the files? Via Windows Explorer?
Message 2 of 7
dsm1212
Apprentice

Those numbers are both way below USB 2.0 so I don't think USB is your bottleneck. Linux is not very efficient with NTFS. I don't know what the processor is on the 102, but I'm guessing it's because samba is so busy dealing with NTFS. I'm not sure you will want to reformat the WD to find out if that's it, but maybe you have something else around you could do a test with. Format a USB thumbdrive with ext4 or something.

There are some problems with WD NTFS drives with Linux but I think those are related to getting the device mounted. It sounds like you are already past that. You may want to google for wd+ntfs+linux though and see what you find.

steve
Message 3 of 7
fussballninja
Aspirant

Hey 🙂
Thanks for your answers!

The version is 6.1.9. I haven't formated the harddrive, just used it out of the box -> How can I check the format?

I'm moving it via Windows Explorer: Is there an easier/faster way?

I only got a small USB 2.0 thumbstickhere. Will this work?

The NAS is moving the movies to the harddrive in no hurry -.- Now even the USB 2.0 speed drops sometimes (after 4 hours it has transfered around 30 GB ...)

Cheers!
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

According to the Smallnetbuilder review, you should be seeing about 9 MB/s on the USB 2 slot, and about 12 MB/s on the USB 3 slot with NTFS. (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas- ... 2-reviewed). Slow, but not as slow as you are seeing. But that assumes the NAS backup jobs are used for the copying.

When you use Windows Explorer, then you are copying the files through the PC (over the network to your PC and then back to the RN102). If you are doing that over WiFi, then you will see very low speeds.

If you want to do it from the NAS, then create a backup job from the RN102 web admin interface.

Though the easiest (and fastest way) for you to simply copy the movies is to connect the PC via ethernet and attach the USB drive to the PC, and not the NAS. Then just drag/drop from windows explorer, or use a freeware utility that verifies like Teracopy. That will be much faster than what you are doing now (especially if you have gigabit ethernet).
Message 5 of 7
fussballninja
Aspirant

Thans for your reply!

I did not know that it moves the data through the network if I use the Windows Explorer :S Between the PC and the NAS is only a Switch... is that maybe the limitating factor? It's an Asus GX-D1051...
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

fussballninja wrote:
I did not know that it moves the data through the network if I use the Windows Explorer :S Between the PC and the NAS is only a Switch... is that maybe the limitating factor? It's an Asus GX-D1051...
No, that's just the way file shares work. You are copying the files to another drive, and if you do it from a remote PC the data moves through the network.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements