× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB port not active ??

JanOli4
Aspirant

USB port not active ??

This device has the latest version firmware and two 2 Tb disk internal.

Connecting a  1Tb WD disk to the front it shows the USB disk in the managing page.

If I dismounted the disk and connected it to one of the two USB connections to the back The disk won't appear in the managing page.

Al ports on the netgear and the external disks are USB 3.0.

Something is wrong as also backups to this USB disk fail on a certain moment, when there is more  than enough diskspace.

It has worked in previous versions firmware.

Who has an idea whats happening or how to debug this, as it is rather ennoying that backups cannot be made directly on the NAS. 

Model: RN20200|2BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: USB port not active ??

@JanOli4 wrote:

This device has the latest version firmware and two 2 Tb disk internal.

"latest" isn't very helpful actually.

Can you confirm you are running 6.8.0?

Message 2 of 7
JanOli4
Aspirant

Yes it is 6.8.0.

I have this Nas now for about one year, initial I had owncloud installed on it, but on a certain moment something went wrong and I had to rebuild the NAS from scratch. This was rather time consuming as I had to restore about 2,5 Tb of files, which I luckely had backup on other devices. Since then I have problems with connecting USB disk to the USB ports.

I read somewhere that it had problems with the WD interface, so I switched the sata USB interface with a toshiba one, but this one gives the same problems.

Model: RN20221D|ReadyNAS202
Message 3 of 7
JanOli4
Aspirant

It becomes even more odd.

When I use the Bitwise SSH client if find my usb disk mounted in the directory /media and am able to copy files to it.

So from a linux perpestive the mount was succesfull, but why don't I see it in the netgear management tab ? 

Something wrong in the firmware ??

Model: RN20200|2BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@JanOli4 wrote:

When I use the Bitwise SSH client if find my usb disk mounted in the directory /media and am able to copy files to it.

Be careful on this, as the mount point persists even if the disk isn't present.   My own NAS has /media/USB_HDD_1 but there is no disk connected (and hasn't been for months).  So you might be writing to the OS partition. 

You can confirm the linux mount with  mount | grep USB

Message 5 of 7
rwills21
Aspirant

I am also seeing issues with the 6.8.0 firmware. If i eject one of my USB drives I use for backup and try to go back and put it in. It will not see the drive until I reboot the NAS.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 6 of 7
JanOli4
Aspirant

By the way I didn't mount the USB disk from the Unix promp.

I only checked if this was mounted by the netgear firmware, which it was. 

I have seen also that the USB disk is available and after a dismount from the netgear webpage and connecting it again I don't see it anymore. Odd looks like some software has troubles with not removed references.

Model: ReadyNAS Remote|
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements