× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ultra 2: Power Timer - coming on when it shouldn't + voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spe

ChunkySocks
Guide

Ultra 2: Power Timer - coming on when it shouldn't + voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec

Hi, 

I recently set a schedule for my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 to switch on and off but last night after it shut down on schedule, it then re-started. Every time I shut it down manually, it would remain off for a few minutes but then re-start so I left it on overnight.

Returning to it this morning, there were several warnings:

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 08.54.45.png

Are these related to the re-starts when the NAS should be shut down?

What is causing these warnings and is there anything I can do to fix them?

At the moment, the Volume is also showing as degraded and there is a resync in progress which has ~11+hrs to go so I'm loath to try anything until that finishes.

Firmware: 6.10.8

Thanks in advance for any replies / suggestions.

Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Ultra 2: Power Timer - coming on when it shouldn't + voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spe

They might be related.  If the problem is the input voltage directly from the power brick, then it dropping too low and back up could be seen as power removal and restoration, which will re-start most ReadyNAS.  You can test if your NAS does re-start by pulling the power and re-inserting.  I don't have an Ultra2 to see if it's one that does, but I'm pretty sure my Pro2s, which are the same except the processor, do.

While the 12V is monitored after an internal regulator, so low 12V is not always the power brick's fault, it often is.  And your additional symptom seems to make it more likely.  Replacement supplies aren't that expensive if you just want to buy one and see if it fixes it.  But do be careful what you buy, as some are over-rated as to the current they can deliver.  If a listing has intentionally hidden the power capability of the supply, like "strategically" placing the power cord over the label or just blanking it out, stay away even if it's listed as "for ReadyNAS".  I recommend you stay away from anything just advertised as for "LED lighting" and lean toward one that lists IP cameras or NAS (but does show that it's at least a 5A supply), as they tend to be better regulated.  I normally go for a 7.5A instead of the 5A of the original, just to be sure.  They only cost a couple dollars more on Amazon.

While Netgear has released no schematics, so I can't be sure, it would make sense that the regulator for the voltage that powers the power-on circuit (3.3VSB, for 3.3 volts standby), whose drop-out and restoration causes a re-start, is before the 12V regulator so that regulator isn't on all the time where 3.3VSB must be.

Message 2 of 4
ChunkySocks
Guide

Thanks for taking the time to write that reply.

Yes, I agree that it's most likely the power brick. After posting this and reading your reply, I checked the power supply - there were two issues:

1. The NAS itself is currently placed up high on top of some shelving with the power running up to it from below. There was some tension on the power cable up to the connector from the weight of the brick which was possibly affecting the power supply. I fixed that and made sure that the connector was firmly plugged into the socket at the back.
  2. The brick itself was actually quite hot, much hotter than I would expect something like this to be.

I've also got a ReadyNAS 212 which has the same type of power supply so I'm going to use that for the Ultra 2 and see if that fixes the issue, haven't had the chance to sort that as yet. I'll also look into getting a replacement supply as well.

For anyone who comes across this thread, it should also be noted that I previously got the voltage warning some time ago but then it was the result of dust build up on the circuit board which was easily remedied but taking off the sides and gently cleaning it with a vacuum cleaner.

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

I hope the power cord pulling on the connector didn't crack the connector solder joints.  That could create a resistance that could have similar symptoms to a bad supply.  On the first Duo's, Netgear used a supply with a 90° connector, and I wish they'd stuck with it.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements