× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Uncorrectable errors reported but drive status is shown as OK

PatrickVdC
Aspirant

Uncorrectable errors reported but drive status is shown as OK

About a week ago (March 😎 I started getting alerts on one of my two 4TB Seagate NAS HDD ST4000N000 drives. Since then I've been getting an increasing amount of alerts, the latest one stating:

Detected increasing uncorrectable errors[336] on disk 1 [ST4000VN000-1H4168, Z3064V0L].
This often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

I'm preparing to replace the drive, but I have a question about how the drive status is reported in the web interface.

The Disk icon at the bottom of the interface is green, and when I hover over the icon both disks show as green as well. When I look at Status > Health, both disks are green, and have OK in their Status column. That seems counterintuitive given the alerts I'm receiving, and misleading.

The SMART+ report effectively shows:

Reported Uncorrect 16
Current Pending Sector 336
Offline Uncorrectable 336
ATA Error Count 16

I can understand that the Volume icon is green since technically no disk has failed (yet), but I would expect to see the disk that's generating the alerts to at least show as yellow (like the blinking yellow icon next to the alerts in the log).

I'm using RAIDiator-x86 version 4.2.30 (which appears to be the latest version available for my device).

Am I wrong in expecting to see the (close to) failing disk as yellow and not green, and not see OK in its Status column?

P.

Model: ReadyNASRNDP2000|ReadyNAS Pro 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jak0lantash
Mentor

@PatrickVdC wrote:

I can understand that the Volume icon is green since technically no disk has failed (yet), but I would expect to see the disk that's generating the alerts to at least show as yellow (like the blinking yellow icon next to the alerts in the log).

This icon shows the status of the RAID members. As the HDD is still a synced member of the RAID array, it's green.

From memory, it becomes blinking yellow during resync.

That's the design of the "RAIDiator 4" system.

That said, I agree that it could be clearer, with something like a little warning road sign or something. But as the product is End of Life, I don't think this will ever be changed. I'm not even sure there is an icon somewhere showing a different color when there are "just" errors on a HDD is "ReadyNAS OS6" system (the current one). Sill on OS6, these are the, imho insane, levels for the email alerts: https://kb.netgear.com/30046/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Disk-Failure-Alerting

Hope this helps 😉

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
jak0lantash
Mentor

@PatrickVdC wrote:

This icon shows the status of the RAID members. As the HDD is still a synced member of the RAID array, it's green.

From memory, it becomes blinking yellow during resync.

That's the design of the "RAIDiator 4" system.

That said, I agree that it could be clearer, with something like a little warning road sign or something. But as the product is End of Life, I don't think this will ever be changed. I'm not even sure there is an icon somewhere showing a different color when there are "just" errors on a HDD is "ReadyNAS OS6" system (the current one). Sill on OS6, these are the, imho insane, levels for the email alerts: https://kb.netgear.com/30046/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Disk-Failure-Alerting

Hope this helps 😉

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would suggest replacing that disk. It is failing.

Message 3 of 5
PatrickVdC
Aspirant

Thanks. I figured it was "Works As Designed", but saw no harm in asking 🙂

Message 4 of 5
PatrickVdC
Aspirant

Yup, replacing the disk is planned.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors