× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Update firmware effect data on volumes?

armornone
Aspirant

Update firmware effect data on volumes?

Can I update the firmware on the compact flash card for the readynas X6 without effecting the data of the volumes?

I am having an issue with the unit not being able to boot and I was wondering if my best course of action would be to reinstall the firmware on the compact flash card on the X6 readynas?

If you would like to know some background information on the problem I am facing,please read the following.

The power light flashing slowly. Disk 4 on/off.

I received an email message from the readynas that disk#2 had failed. The unit was unresponsive to website admin, raidar software or even physically pressing the power button.

After I switched the power off after about 30 minutes of trying to shut it down correctly. Then I powered on the device it won't even boot up now. It has a slow flashing of the power light and once in a while the disk 4 like will turn green for a while off and on. I have left it on all night and it keep up with that behavior.

I am thinking of trying update the firmware to the compact flash card. Is there anything else you could recommend trying or would this action jeopardize the data on the volumes?

Thanks for your help.
Message 1 of 6
TeknoJnky
Hero

well, the system boots from the DISKS, not the flash.

the flash is only used to store the firmware which gets installed to the disks during an update/factory default.

So, if your device worked previously and won't boot, its not because of the flash.

It sounds like your disk failure is preventing the boot.

Ideally you have a full backup of all your data.

I would suggest you unplug the device, pull and label each disk, then test each disk directly connected to a PC with the vendor tools (ie wd diags or seagate tools) to help determine which disk(s) have failed.

If only disk 2 failed, you could keep removed disk 2 (power off first) and see if it will boot with the other 3 disks in their original spots, if so then you will want to replace disk 2 with a good disk asap so that the array can rebuild.

If more than one disk has failed, its very possible you may have lost all data on it.

If you are unsure of anything, stop because its very easy to make a mistake and lose any chance of recovery.
Message 2 of 6
armornone
Aspirant

TeknoJnky wrote:
well, the system boots from the DISKS, not the flash.

the flash is only used to store the firmware which gets installed to the disks during an update/factory default.

So, if your device worked previously and won't boot, its not because of the flash.

It sounds like your disk failure is preventing the boot.

Ideally you have a full backup of all your data.

I would suggest you unplug the device, pull and label each disk, then test each disk directly connected to a PC with the vendor tools (ie wd diags or seagate tools) to help determine which disk(s) have failed.

If only disk 2 failed, you could keep removed disk 2 (power off first) and see if it will boot with the other 3 disks in their original spots, if so then you will want to replace disk 2 with a good disk asap so that the array can rebuild.

If more than one disk has failed, its very possible you may have lost all data on it.

If you are unsure of anything, stop because its very easy to make a mistake and lose any chance of recovery.

You are correct. I removed the offending hard drive ( disk #2 Seagate LB environmental friendly drive) and the machine came back to life and started a life system check. I can now see the raid system using the RAIDar software.

The Seagate LP drive that was removed shows up as failing all the disk utility test.

Thanks you for helping me get this units back on its feet. I must replace the drive as soon as the file system check is complete.

P.S. I do not understand why seagate and western digital will compromise reliability to make a so called " green" drive which only probably saves about 1 watt of power and exposed you to data loss of your valuable information. Thank goodness this was on a Raid 5 and not a RAID 0 or stand alone.
Message 3 of 6
TeknoJnky
Hero

disks fail regardless of whether they are low power or enterprise.

its not a matter of 'if', but 'when'.

if you don't already have a backup, now would be a very good time to make one.

raid is never a substitute for backups, as you almost learned the hard way.
Message 4 of 6
ccclapp
Aspirant

I had the same issue and this string saved me...
For the next person here is more info:

I have a Readynas 600
I needed to upgrade the firmware via the CF compact flash card. I am on windows 7.

1) Find applicable FW from Netgear redinass support. Here is a link to FW pages as today: http://www.readynas.com/?cat=8
I used this: Just released – RAIDiator 4.1.8 September 9, 2011
2) Download to your PC
3) Use this program to copy to your CF card: (Image Writer for Windows aka win32discimager): https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
4) open Image Writer and browse to location of FW file. In browse dialog box, change file type from ".iso" to "*.*" so it sees the FW file, which is not an ISO file)
5) With CF card in reader on pc, in Image Writer select CF card drive letter as destination
6) Click ok

Image writer will copy RAW FW file to CF card. (Windows will say format CF card DONT DO THAT)
7) Eject CF card from PC and put in ReadyNas
😎 Start ReadyNas with at least 1 HDD installed.
9) Locate NAS in RAIDar (From Netgear)
You should see the nas and its status and all should proceed.

Note I think for newer FW, need to have min 256-500 mg CF card. I used 4gig, since its what I had. The existing CF cards w ReadyNas 600 may be too small to hold the FW, which is why if you updated via the NAS, it was not saved to the CF card if you replaced the HDDS or other things.

Hope this helps...

For me, finding the program to copy the FW to the CF card was the issue. Image Writer solved this!!
Message 5 of 6
Scaevola
Aspirant

If you are still having issues ... One thing i would not recommend is updating the firmware.... to many variables. I suggest getting everything stable before you migrate to a new firmware(just see a lot of potential for bad voodoo).

http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware ... ttern_mean

Have you checked into what the LED pattern is?
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements