× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Update my ReadyNAS Ultra 6 to SMB2?

real2gems
Aspirant

Update my ReadyNAS Ultra 6 to SMB2?

Hi everyone. I have just performed a clean install of Windows 10 on a brand new SSD. 

I tried to 'map network drive' and re-connect my old ReadyNAS Ultra 6 [X-RAID2], but I get the following message from Windows:

"You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more information on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747"

So, that is a curve ball. I have terra-bytes worth of my family photos and videos on this NAS which I now cannot access!

Can I update my ReadyNAS Ultra 6 to be compliant with SMB2? If so, how?

If not, how am I supposed to retrieve my family photos and videos?

I really hope someone can help me?

Thank you.

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
real2gems
Aspirant

Re: Update my ReadyNAS Ultra 6 to SMB2?

Thanks mate. That worked nicely. 

Indeed, I need to look into backing up my backup.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@real2gems wrote:

"You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more information on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747"

Go into "turn windows features on or off" and enable the SMB 1 client.  IMO the security risk for home networks is overstated by Microsoft.  FWIW, you were running SMB 1 before the PC upgrade, so there is no more risk than you had before.

Longer term, you can convert your Ultra to run OS-6 firmware - which supports SMB 3.

@real2gems wrote:

So, that is a curve ball. I have terra-bytes worth of my family photos and videos on this NAS which I now cannot access!

No backup???  If so, you need to put a backup plan in place for your NAS.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  If you care about it, you need to have a backup plan.

Message 2 of 4
real2gems
Aspirant

Thanks mate. That worked nicely. 

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

@real2gems wrote:

If you NAS is truly "backup", that is everything on it also resides somewhere else, having an additional backup isn't as important data loss wise, but can be with respect to your time in re-building it, if that's ever required.  But many confuse "backup" with "archive", where the importance of NAS backup depends on the importance of the archived data.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements