× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade from 516 to 628

vrspectre
Apprentice

Upgrade from 516 to 628

So I just upgraded my 6TB drives to 10TB drives. Loving the extra storage. Now I've decided it's time to upgrade the chasis too. 

I'm probably going to go with the 628. I've seen posts about people just dropping the disks into a new NAS in the same order after they have the OS setup and on the same version when doing a replacment of the same model. 

Will that work when changing models like this? 

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrade from 516 to 628

@vrspectre wrote:

I'm probably going to go with the 628. I've seen posts about people just dropping the disks into a new NAS in the same order after they have the OS setup and on the same version when doing a replacment of the same model. 

Yes, that will work.

If the firmware in the 628 doesn't match what's on the disks, then the newest version wins.  That is, if the disks are running a newer version, then the flash is updated from the disks.  If the flash is newer, then the disks are updated to that firmware version.

You might want to match the two versions before you migrate, just in case.  The easiest way to do that is to start by installing a spare disk into the new NAS, and install matching firmware before you migrate the disks.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrade from 516 to 628

@vrspectre wrote:

Yes, that will work.

If the firmware in the 628 doesn't match what's on the disks, then the newest version wins.  That is, if the disks are running a newer version, then the flash is updated from the disks.  If the flash is newer, then the disks are updated to that firmware version.

You might want to match the two versions before you migrate, just in case.  The easiest way to do that is to start by installing a spare disk into the new NAS, and install matching firmware before you migrate the disks.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements