× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading hard drive

jhschlak
Aspirant

Upgrading hard drive

Probably a simple question, but I can't find an answer in the FAQ's or on the message board.
I have a Readynas Duo with 500GB HD that I removed and replaced with 2TB HD. I can get to front view, but it says no shares currently accessible. I did not perform a factory reset after installing the 2TB drive. Is a reset all I need to do?
Thanks,
Jeff
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you had a single disk installed and replaced it?

Do a factory default.
If running 4.1.6 or older firmware update to 4.1.7 (or later) and do another factory default
Restore data from backup
Message 2 of 14
jhschlak
Aspirant

Thanks that did the trick!
Yea I am only using one hard drive to run my time machine backups. I am going to go offsite with all my photos, videos, etc along with keeping a copy on this local drive. I am thinking of using amazon glacier for an offsite backup since I won't need to access it unless my house burns down or floods. Any opinions on amazon glacier?
Thanks,
Jeff
Message 3 of 14
Fathead
Aspirant

I have similar situation with jhschlak that I have upgraded both harddisk of my ReadyNAS Duo from 500GB to 2TB. I have no problem with the upgrade except the RAIDiator 4.1.10 was not able to recongize my new harddisk capacity, i.e. it still shows 500GB not 2TB.

Can I do a factory reset on my situation? Will the factory reset delete all my data in my new harddisks?

I'm using Win7 & the firmware of my ReadyNAS Duo is RAIDiator 4.1.10

Thanks
Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

A factory default will wipe your data, and and return everything to the initial factory state.

Maybe first try disabling journaling and disk spindown (if enabled) and restarting the NAS once or twice first.
Message 5 of 14
eton
Luminary

Fathead wrote:
... I have no problem with the upgrade except the RAIDiator 4.1.10 was not able to recongize my new harddisk capacity, i.e. it still shows 500GB not 2TB.
Can I do a factory reset on my situation? Will the factory reset delete all my data in my new harddisks?

Sounds like you've been lucky. Just follow these steps:
viewtopic.php?p=305835#p305835

If you have no problems with the unit, don't factory reset!
Message 6 of 14
a_burger_with_f
Aspirant

the volume will not increase unless you only have the one disk in the unit
if you have multiple disks then upgrade both to the 2tb in order to see the volume increase

Agent ID: 82015 NETGEAR ReadyNAS Support Engineer
Contact Information: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... txaw%3D%3D
(US/Canada) 1-888-NETGEAR (Option 4 for Technical Support) / (UK) +44(0)8448 75 4000
Message 7 of 14
Fathead
Aspirant

My NAS is now working with 2TB. Thanks for StephenB, eton & a_burger_with_fries.
Message 8 of 14
eton
Luminary

Great to hear Fathead.
Message 9 of 14
Fathead
Aspirant

Hi Netgear Support,

I have got some unusual observations from my ReadyNAS Duo recently. My observations, when I've login as admin to the RAIDiator, are as follows:

1. I've got no information shown on Security/Account tab. It showed the user login information previously.
2. Similarly, I've got the same situation on Status/Health tab. It showed the disk information previously.

However, I can login to the ReadyNAS Duo and be able to access the data from the NAS. I've restarted my NAS several times and have also resync the disk volume. But I still got the above observations. Is there anything wrong with my ReadyNAS Duo ? How can I fix them ?

My computer system: Win7 Prof; RAIDiator 4.1.10; IE10
Message 10 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Is the browser in compatibility mode?
Message 11 of 14
Fathead
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Yes, I'm using compatibility mode in IE10. Is there any problem with IE10?
Message 12 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

IE10 broke compatibility with Frontview. If compatibility mode isn't working try a different web browser.
Message 13 of 14
Fathead
Aspirant

I can see the info in RAIDiator when using other browser. Thanks for the support from mdgm & StephenB.

Cheers
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements