× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using a Scan To Network share (OfficeJet 9130)

Yacht_Rocked
Aspirant

Well, here it is eight days later, so time for an update. HP Support and I have exchanged nine emails to this point. Here's the latest I've sent them today:

Hello,

Per your latest instructions, I uninstalled the HP Image Manager, downloaded the Solution Center, installed it, re-typed in the configuration information for setting up a Network Scan in the Solution Center software, TESTED the configuration within the Solution Center, which was Successful, then let the Solutions software launch the embedded web server. That worked fine. I closed the browser and attempted to scan from the HP Officejet 8500 to the same network drive that passed the configuration test. The same result occurs, which is that the Scanner successfully authenticates to the network share, starts to create the scan file (about 16-17K written to disk) and then Freezes up. This requires that the HP Officejet be powered off and then back on to clear itself.

This is exactly the same error sequence as I have originally reported on this trouble ticket. I do not believe that the problem is with the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo networked attached storage device. I believe that the problem is within the HP FIRMWARE for this device, in that it is not doing SMB properly, per these log entries on the debug SMBD log of the ReadyNAS:

[2009/05/19 11:45:15, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [yr] -> [yr] -> [yr] succeeded <----- HP SOLUTIONS SETUP TEST
[2009/05/19 11:51:32, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [yr] -> [yr] -> [yr] succeeded <----- SCAN ATTEMPT FROM HP 8500
[2009/05/19 11:52:01, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3118)
write_andX: (OS 😎 End of header assumed at 64 but was at 59. <----- ERROR BY HP 8500
[2009/05/19 11:52:01, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3122)
write_andX: SMB headerlength of 59. Fall back to regular write reading 1380 bytes

Please please please escalate this to someone who is involved in HP FIRMWARE development and support for this device. Thank you!
Message 76 of 142
Yacht_Rocked
Aspirant

OK, so after four more email exchanges with tech support today in which they asked me to reinstall the software I already had (done), use HP Solutions software to configure and test network connectivity to the ReadyNAS (done), return the printer to my nearest local retailer/support center (Best Buy, 22 miles away) (NOT DONE, what's the point, it's a firmware issue and printer passes the self-test just fine), and finally, to dump me by telling me to call the 800- general HP tech support number (after an exchange of 17 emails including very detailed ones with SMBD.LOG's, etc), I finally gave up and sent an email to Mark Hurd, CEO of HP (http://www.hp.com, EXECUTIVE TEAM in left-hand navigation pane, then send an email to Mark Hurd). I assume I will be assigned a "case manager" and then I'll go from there. All I've asked for is for my issue to be escalated to the team responsible for firmware development and support, but tech support could not seem to bring themselves to escalate it at all. Oh the joys of outsourced pride from half-a-world away.

BTW, for thread historians, here's the firmware version of my current unit:
model: CB023A
serial: MY91NxxxxN
service ID: 19107
Firmware version: DLM1FN0842BR
Auto-Duplex Unit: Installed
Country/Region: USA
HP-P2(1)

To all with a similar issue, good luck. And if this turns out to be a Netgear problem, I am going to be really really unhappy. 😞
Message 77 of 142
gPAQ
Aspirant

Re: Using a Scan To Network share (OfficeJet Pro 8500)

I added my name to the thread at HP (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/mes ... 3105#M3105) and I'm joining this thread at Netgear/Infrant. All the same problems as reported by others, using new and up-to-date HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Premier (otherwise a nice machine) and ReadyNAS NV+ with latest firmware 4.1.5. Looking forward to a solution as soon as one of the two parties is willing to take ownership of the problem...
Message 78 of 142
gPAQ
Aspirant

Re: Using a Scan To Network share (OfficeJet Pro 8500)

(by the way, where/how are you guys getting the ReadyNAS "samba log"? i'd like to take a look at that too, but i'm ignorant as to what that means and how to find it)
Message 79 of 142
laburton
Aspirant

After 2 years of struggling with HP support and uncountable internet searches thru forums, etc trying to find the work around to allow the "Digital Filing" feature of my HP L7780 to work correctly with my NetGear ReadyNAS NV+, I finally came across this forum thread about using the share name as the user name when setting up the directory info for the scan. Presto! Works like a charm! I am incredibly indebted to the techs who have diligently worked thru all of this and developed the solution. HP support was non existent. My info:

HP L7780 All-In-One Printer
Firmware: R2011NxNxeN0
Software Version: 8.3

NetGear NV+ 1 TB
Hostname: NetGear
Model: ReadyNAS NV+ [X-RAID]
Serial: XXXXXXXXXXXX (removed by author)
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043]
Memory: 256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]

Thanks again!
Message 80 of 142
gPAQ
Aspirant

laburton wrote:
After 2 years of struggling with HP support and uncountable internet searches thru forums, etc trying to find the work around to allow the "Digital Filing" feature of my HP L7780 to work correctly with my NetGear ReadyNAS NV+, I finally came across this forum thread about using the share name as the user name when setting up the directory info for the scan. Presto! Works like a charm! I am incredibly indebted to the techs who have diligently worked thru all of this and developed the solution. HP support was non existent.

Sounds promising... Do you care to share the details or a link to the thread you are referring to? To the best of my knowledge, the ReadyNAS does not accept a share with the same name as an existing username. Any help and tips appreciated!
Message 81 of 142
laburton
Aspirant

The post was in this thread by "Skywalker" a while back (see at the end of this post. BTW - I couldn't get the "add-on" mentioned in skywalker's post. But, I figured, based upon the date on the post, that maybe certain aspects of the "fix" may have become part of the raidiator 4.1.6 upgrade that was just released.):

My setup:
- The Netgear NV+ under the security tab is in "share mode" and the workgroup is the same as all the rest of my computers that are on my LAN
- In my ignorance, and not knowing what protocols are actually used, I enabled all of the standard file protocols in the Services tab. No ill effects noted, so I have left it the way it is.
- In the "share listing" other than the default folders (media and backup), I added a folder called "My_Docs" and ensured "read/write access" for all of the file protocols listed.
- If you click on CIFS and then goto the "Advanced Tab", you'll see an "Advanced Share Permission" page. The share folder owner for me is "My_Docs" and I believe this is the fundamental key to getting the Digital Filing to work.
- The share folder is "nogroup" (a default I think) and the share folder group rights and share folder everyone rights has been set to "read/write".
- The grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files has been enabled.

In the network setup for the HP for digital filing, my network path is "//192.168.1.155/My_Docs" (I have DHCP setup on my router BUT I have the IP address for the NetGear assigned permanently as 192.168.1.155) the user name is "My_Docs" and I left the password and pin blank, AND THAT'S IT! The scan takes place almost immediately with (to my knowledge) no limits to size.

FYI - the "My_Docs" for me is my "root folder" on the NetGear. For sub folders (e.g., a folder called "scans" that resides within "My_Docs"), the setup is:
"//192.168.1.155/My_Docs/scans"
the user name however is still "My_Docs" (for me) and the password and pin are left blank.

Hope this helps. I now have multiple network file paths programmed in for various activities, invoices, bills, etc and am finally able to start scanning in all my paperwork and reduce the amount of crap in my cabinets. I would assume that the newer versions of HP's All-In-Ones will be able to scan in a similar manner. I don't know if what I have said above holds true for the setup for Vista or WIN7.

Regards,
laburtons

Post subject: Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:50 pm

Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: NV Okay, we got a 7780 in today, and I may have a solution. You can try this addon out. It should fix both of those issues. DawgDaze (and anyone else in Share security mode), you'll need to use the share name as the user name in the OfficeJet setup. If you don't have a password set on the share, just leave the password field empty.

NOTES:
* If you have any Unix/Linux clients on the network using CIFS, this addon will probably make them behave strangely. Mac OSX should be fine.
* This probably will not work in Domain security mode.

Last edited by Skywalker on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Message 82 of 142
miltonabove
Aspirant

Arghh! Too frustrating. I have spent the last several hours trying to get my new HP 8500 all-in-one to scan to my ReadyNAS Duo, but no luck. Works great saving to a network folder on my Vista machine. Initially I had the 17k file freeze issue mentioned by several others. Then I tried the new 4.1.6 firmware, using the above posts suggestion of using the share name as the user name on the HP software, still no luck. Now I can't pass the HP software's network test: keeps saying invalid username/password. Would love to hear if anyone else is successful. ReadyNAS symbd.log shows this every time:

[2009/07/19 20:54:49, 1] auth/auth_sam.c:sam_account_ok(142)
sam_account_ok: Account for user 'scan' was disabled.
[2009/07/19 20:54:49, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(319)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [scan] -> [scan] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED

ReadyNAS Duo 4.1.6
HP Officejet 8500 Wireless (using ethernet)
Message 83 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

miltonabove, is guest access enabled on your "scan" share? If so, try entering a dummy username, like "baduser" and leave the password field blank.
Message 84 of 142
miltonabove
Aspirant

Thank you Skywalker for the help, but still no luck. This allows me to pass the HP software test during setup, but I end up getting the device freeze while saving the file, leaving a partial 17kb file on the Duo, just as many others have reported. I have guest access enabled on the share, and default read/write for all CIFS, AFP, and HTTP/S. Advanced options shows the share name as the share folder owner. Here's what the Duo log shows (blue is my added notes):

[2009/07/20 20:42:55, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(319)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [baduser] -> [baduser] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (HP Software testing, with PASS)
[2009/07/20 20:44:09, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(319)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [baduser] -> [baduser] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (Initiation of test scan)
[2009/07/20 20:44:27, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3118)
write_andX: (OS 😎 End of header assumed at 64 but was at 59.
[2009/07/20 20:44:27, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3122)
write_andX: SMB headerlength of 59. Fall back to regular write reading 10068 bytes

Miltonabove
ReadyNAS Duo, 4.1.6
HP Officejet 8500
Message 85 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

What kind of clients do you have on your network using CIFS right now? Is it all Windows clients with the exception of the scanner?
Message 86 of 142
miltonabove
Aspirant

Yes, only one windows vista client, plus one macbook (using AFP). A couple of network media players accessing the Duo via Twonkymedia. That's it. I appreciate the interest, as I know that I am not the only one faced with this problem. From HP's forum:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/mes ... ad.id=2303

Miltonabove
Message 87 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

If you're using only Windows clients for CIFS on the NAS, it's safe to install this addon and see if it can make a positive difference for HP scanners. However, there are some notes you should be aware of:
* This addon will change settings which will greatly reduce performance on non-Windows CIFS clients.
* If the addon causes problems for you, you can reverse the effects of it by installing it again.
* The addon will need to be reinstalled after each firmware update.
Message 88 of 142
miltonabove
Aspirant

Sorry, tried the add-on, but still no luck. Since installing the addon, I have tried using the following for user name: blank, baduser, share name, and an actual user name with appropriate password. No change in behavior: lockups on scanning with blank, baduser, and actual user name. Fail to login with share name.

Miltonabove
Message 89 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Anyone still struggling with this (like miltonabove with his Officejet 8500), the problem basically comes down to a conflict between HP's firmware doing non-standard writes and our firmware's CIFS write optimizations. For some models, like the 7780, we can detect that it's an OfficeJet and automatically disable our write optimization. But the 8500 gets identified as a Vista client and we enable the write optimization. So we'll work on a way to allow manual disabling of it on a per-share basis, so you'll hopefully be able to pick a share that works with HP scanners, but has slower write performance than other shares. In the meantime, if anyone prefers the ability to write directly to a ReadyNAS share from a non-working OfficeJet at the cost of a write performance hit, PM me and I can get you an addon to do that.
Message 90 of 142
sevenlas
Aspirant

skywalker, can you send me the addon.

when you mention performance hit...how bad?

and have there been any progress on disabling the setting per share?
Message 91 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, there has been some progress, but it's not ready just yet. What's the name of the share you're trying to scan to?
Message 92 of 142
sevenlas
Aspirant

i tried naming it different folders include naming the folder as the user.

folder name: scan
user id: scan
pwd: scan

I tried moving the folders to root, inside the media folder, inside the users directory. same issue everytime.
regarding rights...i gave everyone rights to the folder including guest as well.

i have no issues scanning to a pc share/mac share.

btw.
i have the 8500 series.

thanks for your help. i have two readynas nv+ and this is the first time i really have issues with the nas..(and i understand from reading all the post that its not infrants fault....but those are the breaks...since you guys are really responsive compare to HP.) so i appreciate all your help in this.
Message 93 of 142
petas_70
Aspirant

I still have the problem. The addon is the one you sent me last time or it is different?

Thanks , Petr.
Message 94 of 142
remtiwk
Aspirant

I'm experiencing the exact same problem as the others on here.

I have an Officejet Pro 8500 that locks up every time I try to scan to the Netgear ReadyNas Duo. It scans to 16.1k before the printer freezes up and then needs to be rebooted. :evil:

I've tried the same username as sharename workaround but it still locks up. I would be extremely grateful for a solution to this problem.
Message 95 of 142
miltonabove
Aspirant

Skywalker has a work around fix for this. Apparently the HP 8500 presents itself as a Vista client, and leads to conflicts with the ReadyNAS' optimizations for Vista clients. Ask him for the add-on.
Message 96 of 142
Rollinthundr
Aspirant

Skywalker, I have a ReadyNAS DUO, and am having the same problems in terms of scanning to the Readynas from my HP 8500.

Can you give me the fix you were talking about as well?
Message 97 of 142
Rollinthundr
Aspirant

I am pretty much in the same boat as everyone else. Tried the Add-on (disregard my post above, I found the link to it), no dice. Tried usernames of guest, admin, etc.. No dice.

The Duo is on a separate workgroup as the printer, BUT, I tried appending that workgroup before the username, and in both cases, no dice.

Keeps writing out the same 17kb file, and locking up the scanner.

Also, I am scanning using an HP 8500, as in other posts, with the latest HP firmware.

HELP!
Message 98 of 142
casper1
Aspirant

Hi, just too let you know that the problem with HP 8500 Network Folder didn't disappear and we all waiting for answers.
Personally I'm astonished about how old is this topic (first posted Dec 11, 2006) and as yet no permanent solution has been found for one of the fundamental use of NAS/scaner in the office.

---------------
Casper UK

ReadyNAS Duo - RAIDiator 4.1.6 , HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909g, Windows Vista Business
Message 99 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

PM me with the name of the share you're trying to scan to, and I'll get you an addon. We'll likely have a UI option in the next firmware release that allows you to disable the write optimization that causes the incompatibility, but you'll need an addon until then.
Message 100 of 142
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements