× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using a Scan To Network share (OfficeJet 9130)

casper1
Aspirant

My share name is Firma but if you can give me one addon with default share name everybody could use that to resolve this problem.
Thank you very much I appreciate your help.
Casper
Message 101 of 142
Dr_T_
Aspirant

I also own a NV+ and a HP 8500.
I had no success to scan direct to shared network folder. Other Network folders (Mac or Win Computer, other NAS) worked fine.
The addon is only for x86 cpu. So I need help for my NV+.

Best, Dr.T.
Message 102 of 142
DocDog
Aspirant

Add one more voice to the group of users trying to write to a ReadyNAS NV+ from an OfficeJet 8500. Sounds like there is no patch available for this yet, only for the ReadyNAS Pro. Would appreciate any sort of patch to make this problem disappear. Will torture HP as well.
Message 103 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

The addon is only for non-x86. The issue does not affect x86-based systems, so there is no addon for those systems.

This addon will work on shares with the following names:
HP-Documents
Data
PDF_Data
scan
scans
Message 104 of 142
casper1
Aspirant

Thank you very much for help.
I will be the first to confirm that this addon finally solve the problem with Digital Filing / Network Folder.
Regards,
Casper

ReadyNAS Duo , RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043] , HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909g , Vista
Message 105 of 142
sevenlas
Aspirant

Skywalker thank you very much.

i'll be the second to confirm that its working. no hangups/freezes

ps: if anyone want to get this printer to print out photos...DON'T do it. there is no color management on their drivers...pictures comes out all dark. terrible.
Message 106 of 142
gPAQ
Aspirant

casper wrote:
Thank you very much for help.
I will be the first to confirm that this addon finally solve the problem with Digital Filing / Network Folder.
Regards,
Casper

ReadyNAS Duo , RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043] , HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909g , Vista

Hmmm... you seem to have more luck than I did. :cry:

I applied the same patch, but now scanning into my 'scan' share hangs my printer forever. I seem to have almost the same equipment and configuration you have (I have ReadyNAS NV+). Can you advise how you proceeded? Did you install the add-on and reboot the NAS, did you leave the share or did you create a new share, did you recreate the settings on your printer also? And general question: does this add-on show on the ReadyNAS add-on page with any type of interface, 'cos on mine it does not show after a restart.
Message 107 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

The addon won't show in the installed addons section, since it's just a configuration change addon. It should, however, leave a message in your system logs informing you of the change it made.
Message 108 of 142
gPAQ
Aspirant

Skywalker wrote:
The addon won't show in the installed addons section, since it's just a configuration change addone. It should, however, leave a message in your system logs informing you of the change it made.

If that is the case, then this update may not have worked as desired. The recent entries from my log are shown below:

Mon Jan 4 20:26:04 EST 2010 System is up.
Mon Jan 4 20:25:23 EST 2010 Successfully changed share settings for Data share.
Mon Jan 4 20:23:44 EST 2010 Rebooting device...
Mon Jan 4 20:23:43 EST 2010 Please close this browser session and use RAIDar to reconnect to the device. System rebooting...

I do have a share with Share name "shared" and for which the Description is "Data", but the target share should have been my share with the Share name "scan" and Description left blank. Any way to correct that? Per your earlier description of the effect of this add-on I'm now afraid that my "shared" share may be operating at reduced performance, and it happens to be my most significant data volume... Can this add-on be corrected, or un-installed? Your efforts are most appreciated, but I'm losing some control of my system if I can't tell exactly what's installed and I can't uninstall. Thanks!
Message 109 of 142
skins
Aspirant

I'm afraid I get the same result as gPAQ, although on a ReadyNAS Duo and using a 'scans' share (which I created after installation).

Maybe casper and sevenlas would be kind enough to go through the settings for the share they're using and on their printer.
Message 110 of 142
skins
Aspirant

OK, I have it sorted now.

I created another share called 'Data' and reloaded the addon. I then created another folder entry on the printer (A909g) to save to 'Data' (obviously) and that worked.

Thanks Skywalker - nice one!
Message 111 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Okay, this addon [Toggle_OfficeJet_Scan_Support] should be more thorough. If any share has write optimization disabled, it will re-enable it. If there are no shares with disabled write optimization, the addon will disable it on the first share found matching any of these names (case-insensitive), in this order:
HP-Documents
PDF_Data
Scan
Scans
Data
Message 112 of 142
shaegelin
Aspirant

I have an OfficeJet Pro L7650. I was also unable to use the OfficeJet digital filing system to save scans to my ReadyNAS NV+ (invalid username / password displays on the OfficeJet LCD).

The OfficeJet has a built in browser server the "Embeded Web Server (EWS)" that you can use to program the printer over a network using IE or Firefox on your own PC. You setup a path for the files to be stored using the EWS, but you will get an invalid username or password error when you start the scan.

The trick is you need to set the username in the OfficeJet embeded web server to be your ReadyNAS share. You set the username up at the same time you set the path and can have up to five paths to store to different directories. For example I set the path in the OfficeJet to be nasipaddress//stuff/scans and I set the username in the OfficeJet to be stuff. I could set up another folder in the same share nasipaddress//stuff/officescans and use the same username (stuff) or set up a new share nasipaddress//wifestuff/scans and pass it the username wifestuff.

I learned this after already installing the add-on that skywalker provided in the previous post, but I think this trick will work without the add-on and I would suggest you try it first and see if it works without the add-on.

Steve
Message 113 of 142
gPAQ
Aspirant

Skywalker wrote:
Okay, this addon [Toggle_OfficeJet_Scan_Support] should be more thorough. If any share has write optimization disabled, it will re-enable it. If there are no shares with disabled write optimization, the addon will disable it on the first share found matching any of these names (case-insensitive), in this order:
HP-Documents
PDF_Data
Scan
Scans
Data

This version does the trick! Thank you for updating it! Tip: you may have to run it twice if you've tried the previous version.
Message 114 of 142
s1myr
Aspirant

Re: Using a Scan To Network share (OfficeJet 8500)

Hi. I'm another disgruntled HP Officejet Pro 8500 user who can't scan to network with my NAS Duo. I've tried loading the update above but get a checksum error. Can anyone help? Thanks....scrub that. Re-downloaded from first link above and all works great....can scan to my heart's delight!
Message 115 of 142
bigfin
Aspirant

Hi,

Can this now be done without the addon in Raidiator 4.1.7?

Thanks,

Bigfin
Message 116 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

No, it'll still require an addon.
Message 117 of 142
fredp1
Aspirant

Hi,

I just got an HP 8500A and am having the exact same problems that others have posted here on the board...the scan to network folder function was creating a small 17K file and hanging the HP scanner.

I'm using a ReadyNAS Duo. Recently updated firmware to v4.1.7.

I created a share named "Scans" per the previous thread discussion about the need for an addon. The addon from the link listed above (Toggle_OfficeJet_Scan_Support_1.0.bin) was downloaded and applied to the NAS. The installation (or upgrade) required a reboot of the NAS...no problem. However, after the reboot of the NAS, FrontView no longer works. The page border with some graphics features loads (no menu nor typical information in the center), and then an error window pops up reporting that the page at 192.168.x.y (my NAS IP) is undefined. I'll obviously need to use FrontView to manage my NAS.

Everything has been running great for a long time until this addon was installed.

Skywalker - You might be in the best position to help, as you're most familiar with the addon. What happened and what can I do?

Please help.
Thanks.

Fred
Message 118 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

An OS reinstall should fix that up for you (instructions here). I'll try to see exactly why that's happening.
Message 119 of 142
fredp1
Aspirant

Skywalker,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I'll give the reflash procedure a try...my concern is accidentally wiping the NAS. I have dual drives with redundant setup...so two 500GB drives for a total of 500GB. Can one of the hard drives be removed (I know, sounds like a dumb question to which I probably already know the answer), or is there anything else that can be done, to ensure the system won't be wiped? Am I overly concerned over something that is pretty easy to avoid (the LEDs blink timing is easy to see and work with)?

Also, the procedure mentioned reloading from flash...may I assume that's onboard flash and not a USB flash drive? For clarity, what I'm asking, the procedure will be done without a thumb drive...right?

This procedure will then put my OS back to its original version...correct? When I've done firmware upgrades in the past, this doesn't affect the flash memory...so I'll need to re-install the upgrades...right?

Oh yeah...just FYI...the addon did allow me to use the 8500A and scan to the network share "Scans". The rest of the NAS seems to be working correctly.

Thanks a ton for your guidance.

Fred
Message 120 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

The data won't be touched unless you have the button held down for 30 seconds. And even then, you'll have the opportunity to pull the power plug without affecting the data for another 10 minutes. It won't change anything on the flash; you should still be running 4.1.7 after this procedure, but a few of your settings will be reset to defaults -- things like admin password, jumbo frames, static IPs, etc. But for a basic setup, the only thing you should notice is Frontview working again, and your admin password being reset back to default.

If you're still nervous about doing this, let me know, and we can do a manual fix.
Message 121 of 142
fredp1
Aspirant

Skywalker,

Did the OS re-install and Frontview is back! Yeah!

How would I have done the update manually? That would be good to know.

Thanks so much for your help.

Fred
Message 122 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

That's something the support group would have had to do.
Message 123 of 142
bigfin
Aspirant

Hi All,

Same problem here: installed 4.1.7 + add-on (mostly works great, btw) and FrontView shows an empty FrontView frame, and a dialog box saying "undefined".

Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling the firmware, if one has SSH access?

Thanks,

Bigfin
Message 124 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

bigfin wrote:
Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling the firmware, if one has SSH access?

This should do it.
# touch /.os_update
# reboot
Message 125 of 142
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements