× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using the delete option via frontview

smtoff_1
Aspirant

Using the delete option via frontview

Have a fairly basic setup and have been using the backup to save files to external USB drives.

Model: ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.13 [1.00a043]
Wondering if someone can set me straight on how to manually exclude directories or files from the source.

Copying from a share {media} to a USB inserted in the front and have successfully copied the files. USB has rsync activated in the share properties.
Have a test setup in place and am trying to exclude from the source but trying to use the box "Add files and directories to be excluded as a comma separated list" is proving impossible. Can't even get it to exclude one file (used "", '', \space). BTW have it set to 'Remove deleted files on target." and this is working, successfully deleted a file on the source and this was applied.

Looked up rsync Linux commands but can't get syntax and most things I try get no response from frontview (doesn't even ask me to apply).
Guess what I would like to know is whether it does work on this setup and what the syntax is. Would consider using ssh into the NAS as I have some knowledge of Linux but that would be another step and would rather have a quick fix via frontview.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Message 1 of 10
RVTJR
Aspirant

Hi smtoff_1,

You may want to see this thread from way back:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=48210

Credit to mutley.
Message 2 of 10
smtoff_1
Aspirant

I seemed to have tried the same things but having no success.

Tried
"01 Cafe Au Lee.mp3"
"/Music/01 - Compilations/Jazz/Sydney Jazz/01 Cafe Au Lee.mp3"
"[media]//Music/01 - Compilations/Jazz/Sydney Jazz/01 Cafe Au Lee.mp3"
All these with the double quotes. Have also tried without quotes.
01 Cafe Au Lee.mp3
Incremental backup runs but does not exclude the file. Want to eventually exclude directories using a text or script file to pick up the names but just be happy to exclude one file!
Tried
'/Music/01 - Compilations/Jazz/Sydney Jazz/01 Cafe Au Lee.mp3'
Got the following error, it happens every time I use single quotes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error encountered copying data from source path /media//Music/01 - Compilations/Jazz ==> LOWMEDIA::USB_FLASH_3 due to unknown reason. Please see log. [Job 010]
##apos##[media]//Music/01 - Compilations/Jazz/Sydney Jazz/01 Cafe Au Lee.mp3##apos##[Mon Oct 6 21:06:37 EST 2014]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also replaces the single quotes in the edit box with ##apos##
????
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Frontview backup builds the rsync command when you create the backup job, so this does depend a bit on exactly what processing rules it uses. Here's some general information on rsync exclude that might help:

-rsync excludes are relative to the path name in the backup job. So anything in the path name of the source is not included. In your case I am thinking that is Media

-you escape spaces with backslashes.

So "01\ Cafe\ Au\ Lee.mp3" ought to exclude all occurrences of "01 Cafe Au Lee.mp3" no matter what folder they are in.

"01*Cafe*Au*Lee.mp3" should also work, but the * is a wildcard, so there are other files that could potentially be excluded. For instance if "01-Cafe_Au_sillyLee.mp3" exists, the *s would exclude that also.

"/Music/01\ -\ Compilations/Jazz/Sydney\ Jazz/01\ Cafe\ Au\ Lee.mp3" should also do it.
Message 4 of 10
smtoff_1
Aspirant

Have tried suggestions but no luck. Looks to me like the "Add files and directories......" box is being ignored every time the rsync is run.

Tried escaping the blanks "01\ Cafe\ Au\ Lee.mp3" no change.
Tried the wildcard and without quotes - no change.
Deleted all the blanks in the filename at the source and ran rsync. Old file with blanks was deleted and the new one was copied to the backup despite that I had in the options box to exclude the new version of the file "01CafeAuLee.mp3". Run again with this option but still no effect?
Also notice that normally the apply button activates when you go into any of the other options (eg the "Path") but never when I enter the "Add fi...." option. Have been entering one of the other options boxes to activate the apply button.

Have done a "Download All Logs" from the server. Is there a logfile I can look at which will give a better idea of what is going on when I run the backup?

Thanks
Message 5 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

What happens if you omit the file extension. .mp3 and just put in the file name?
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There should be logs for backup jobs such as backup_001.log
Message 7 of 10
smtoff_1
Aspirant

Tried changing the format of the name but no luck.
Had a look at logs and already checked the backup_011 file as I was able to view through frontview.

Checked other logs and found in the processes log
root 1214 0.0 0.6 4704 1408 ? S Oct06 0:00 /usr/bin/rsync --no-detach --daemon --log-file=/var/log/rsyncd.log --config /etc/frontview/rsync/Shares.conf

Wonder if I am doing something stupid in the setup. Looked up some other examples and found an example where the user was setting the source as rsync and the destination as a share so have tried to set another backup with this arrangement. Unfortunately I am getting error of "empty source folder" as it does not seem to want to accept any of the formats for the source directory that I enter. Tried escaping the spaces in the directory name and lets me start but then fails.

Does anyone have a definitive way to copy from the media share music directory to a 32GB USB defined as FAT32 with the ability to exclude some directories from the media share? (Copy is working but unable to exclude the directories)

Would the --log-file=/var/log/rsyncd.log be any help? Would I have to ssh into the NAS?
Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

As well as enabling the Rsync service did you enable it for the Share under Shares > Share Listing?

Rsync needs to be enabled for the Share on the "Remote Rsync Server".
Message 9 of 10
smtoff_1
Aspirant

Checked that it was enabled for Read/Write for Rsync on both shares.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements