× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

V5_0 power is out of normal range. and VVTT power is out of normal range

AusSnowy
Aspirant

V5_0 power is out of normal range. and VVTT power is out of normal range

Hi Everyone,

Have a client running a ReadyNAS 3100 with x-raid2, firmware RAIDiator 4.2.30, 2GB ram, 10TB useable space.

Received 3 alerts - 2 x 'V5_0 power is out of normal range' and 1 x 'VVTT power is out of normal range' both with some values. The NAS itself is getting a bit old - unsure as to its birthdate but guess it is around 2010/11. Disks were upgraded last year by installing 4x4TB drives and then factory resetting. Continues to work well.

Power is supplied via an APC Smart-UPS 1400 RMXL which is working fine. No errors in its logs.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this may mean? I have the logs is anyone would like to see them.

Thanks Folks!

Brett

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: V5_0 power is out of normal range. and VVTT power is out of normal range

It could suggest there may be a PSU issue.

You could try shutting down the NAS, disconnecting it from the UPS and plugging it in directly to a wall outlet and see if that makes a difference.

There are instructions on how to send me your logs in the Sending Logs link in my sig.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: V5_0 power is out of normal range. and VVTT power is out of normal range

Agreed, it sounds like a PSU issue.  Removing the UPS from the system is unlikely to help, but an OK first step.  Switching power supplies are quite tollerant of mains power fluctuation.

VTT is the DDR RAM termination voltage.  In typical applications, it is produced from the 12V, not the 5V.  But if the 3100 produces it from 5V, then having VTT bad when 5V is bad is probably the same problem showing in two places.

Another possibility is a false alarm and it's the circuit that measures the voltages that has the problem.  That is something you could just ignore, but it's hard to know it's the real cause.

Since the 3200 has redundant supplies, you could try swapping their positions or running with just one and then the other.

If it is a supply, the chassis is a standard SuperMicro one and the supplies are PWS-451-1R, I believe (that's the common 450W one with that form factor, but check the label).  They are readily available, and cheap on eBay if you don't mind used.  Don't be tempted to get one rated at a higher wattage unless you are prepared to replace both.  Supermicro strongly warns against having dissimilar supplies on their redundant power supply controllers, though they don't go into details on the consequences.  If you plan to keep it going for a while, and especially if further drive upgrades are in store, it could be worth putting in a pair of 700W rated replacements.  But I'm not sure if the PWS-703P-1R  or PWS-704P-1R is appropriate for that chassis.  If you want to go with the higher rated supplies, you can put the chassis number in at the SuperMicro site and see which ones it recommends.  Hopefully, you can find that inside the chassis.  I think the 704 is right, but don't want to stear you wrong. You can buy a couple plus a spare for around $100 on eBay (used).

I just bought a couple spares for my 4200 (different form factor for 2U chassis) and spent under $50.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements