× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WD TV Live can't access shares

webspider
Aspirant

WD TV Live can't access shares

I must be missing the obvious. I can access my NV+ shares for read and write with my Linux, Win XP, and Win7 pc's but for the life of me I can't access the shares with my media player "WD TV Live". WD TV does see the nas under the Network Shares menu but when I try to access the share I don't get a share listing "backup" or media" just the error "There is no media in the current folder".

WD TV is able to access shares on all of the above PC shares and I have tried every option in Frontview.

Any hints would be helpful!

Thanks
Message 1 of 9
hooper
Aspirant

Having the same problem here.

My DLNA shares work fine, but not network shares. Running in SHARE security mode.
Radiator 4.1.7
WD TV Live+ on latest 1.0.4 fw and not beta release
Message 2 of 9
hooper
Aspirant

Found the answer in another topic. You have to type the share name into the username field of the WD TV Live. No password.
Message 3 of 9
webspider
Aspirant

I also found a solution. If you setup user shares it works as it should.
Message 4 of 9
rlyon
Aspirant

I just got the Live and I can't get my NV+ to show under network share either. What services do I run on the nv? What discoveries do I turn on? What settings do I make on the Live?
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

WDTV live uses CIFS. If you configure "everyone" access to read (or read/write) on the NV+ you should be able to access your files.

There aren't many settings on the Live for network stuff. There is a setting for the Windows Workgroup though, so you might want to check that one.
Message 6 of 9
rolf2
Aspirant

I had the same problem. Thanks for your posts, that didn't solve mine, but I found it out.

In the ReadyNas menu, you have to enable ReadyDLNA under Services>Streaming Services

(Choose the media share you want to appear in your WD TV. I chose only videos for the start).

THen go to WD TV > Videos > Select Content Source > Media Server (not network share)

There your NAS drive should appear. click the green hook.

Then clikc on "Browse folders", and you see the WD TV is mapping all the folders in the share
Message 7 of 9
microUgly
Aspirant

hooper wrote:
You have to type the share name into the username field of the WD TV Live. No password.

This seems to prevent you from being able to access more than one share on the NAS. Am I wrong?

webspider wrote:
I also found a solution. If you setup user shares it works as it should.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? When is a share on the NAS not a user share?

StephenB wrote:
WDTV live uses CIFS. If you configure "everyone" access to read (or read/write) on the NV+ you should be able to access your files.

This is how my NAS is configured. Can you clarify if this works for you, of if you're just stating that it "should" work.

rolf wrote:
I had the same problem. Thanks for your posts, that didn't solve mine, but I found it out. In the ReadyNas menu, you have to enable ReadyDLNA under Services>Streaming Services

Configuring the streaming service might be a work around, but it's not a solution to the problem with accessing shares.
Message 8 of 9
Fr_ctur3
Aspirant

Make sure you go into setup on your WDTV Live and disable auto login. Then access network shares as normal and it should prompt you for a login then. I had the same problem, i then entered the name of the share "Media" and i had no password so entered nothing and it worked.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements