× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

When adding file from PC to ReadyNas I receive error "The Disk is Write Protected"

PC_Dock
Aspirant

When adding file from PC to ReadyNas I receive error "The Disk is Write Protected"

I have had my ReadyNAS up and running for a few months and today when I tried to copy files over from my Computer hard drive to my NAS system I am getting an error "This Disk is Write Protected".  My shares are still there and I can copy from my NAS to my computer.  

My firmware is 6.10.1

The system has 23.64 TB with 4.56TB available. With X-Raid on.

There is Three USB drives connected and I can write files to all three USB Drives,

My Computer is running Windows 10 Pro

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: When adding file from PC to ReadyNas I receive error "The Disk is Write Protected"

Hi PC_Dock,

It looks like a file system corruption happened in your volume. I see a lot of these messages in kernel.log:

Sep 05 15:26:01 PC-DOC-NAS kernel: BTRFS error (device md126): bad tree block start 12307480573248903287 21371832008704
Sep 05 15:26:01 PC-DOC-NAS kernel: BTRFS error (device md126): bad tree block start 12307480573248903287 21371832008704

It is best to do a factory default then restore from backup when you get these errors. If you are not able to backup all your files, you may contact NETGEAR Support for data recovery (https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service).

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: When adding file from PC to ReadyNas I receive error "The Disk is Write Protected"

If you don't have a backup of the NAS  you should make one right away (or update it).

Log into the admin web ui of the NAS and see if the volume is set to read-only.  If it is, that usually means the NAS has detected file system corruption.  You can download the log zip file and look in there for analysis (or ask one of the mods to review it).  But the backup is the first priority.

Message 2 of 9
PC_Dock
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

If you don't have a backup of the NAS  you should make one right away (or update it).

Log into the admin web ui of the NAS and see if the volume is set to read-only.  If it is, that usually means the NAS has detected file system corruption.  You can download the log zip file and look in there for analysis (or ask one of the mods to review it).  But the backup is the first priority.

That does seem to be the issue.  I see that the volume is set to read only and there is a couple of shares that I am not able to open that show undefined error code.

I tried to attach my sipped log files but the system would only allow jpg,gif,png,pdf files

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@PC_Dock wrote:

I tried to attach my zipped log files but the system would only allow jpg,gif,png,pdf files

You shouldn't post them publicly anyway.

Instead put them into cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc), and send a link via private message to one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) asking them to analyze them for you.  You send a PM via the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

@PC_Dock wrote:

there is a couple of shares that I am not able to open that show undefined error code.

Back up what you can though.

Message 4 of 9
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PC_Dock,

You can send the logs to me so I can check what happened to your volume. You may just upload it to a file-sharing site the send the download link to me via PM (private message).

Regards,

Message 5 of 9
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PC_Dock,

It looks like a file system corruption happened in your volume. I see a lot of these messages in kernel.log:

It is best to do a factory default then restore from backup when you get these errors. If you are not able to backup all your files, you may contact NETGEAR Support for data recovery (https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service).

Regards,

Message 6 of 9
PC_Dock
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your help.  I was backing up most of the data already so it shouldn't take long to back up the rest.

Message 7 of 9
PC_Dock
Aspirant

Quick question, can you tell which of the 4 drives the issue happened and should I replace it?

Message 8 of 9
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PC_Dock,

The issue actually did not happen on a specific disk but on the data volume itself. I have checked the disks in disk_info.log and I do not see any errors on them.

Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements