× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

When creating a new user I am asked to enter their "Name", is this actually asking for a username?

edgrsanchez
Guide

When creating a new user I am asked to enter their "Name", is this actually asking for a username?

I'm a bit confused at the field names used when creating a new user.

The field that asks for a "Name" should take the user's name, such as "John Smith".

I have never in my life filled out a new account form that asks for a "Name" and expects for the user to type a username instead of an actual name.

There should also be a field for a username, such as "john.smith" or "jsmith".

I also think it would be beneficial to allow users to set their email address as the username. Is there a reason this isnt the case? I understand that not everyone will agree with that, but I feel like it could be implemented and you could allow the ReadyNAS administrator to decide if they want to use usernames or emails or both.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 2
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: When creating a new user I am asked to enter their "Name", is this actually asking for

Hi,

For help on user creation, you can consult the following article: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23153/

Usernames can't really be email addresses. These usernames will be used by the different file sharing protocols used by the NAS (Samba, AFP, FTP, etc.). For compatibility, it's wiser not too use simple usernames (even if email format is supported).

The GUI is meant to be simple, that's why it asks for a "name". Though for more technical people, it might be confusing.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements