× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which bays should I use?

Manwithamission
Aspirant

Which bays should I use?

Hi, I have just installed three 6TB drives in my new 316.  I couldn't find a particular order 1-6 for the bays so I put them in the three lower bays thinking lower center of gravity-less vibration.  

1. Having now seen the volumes labeled as 4,5 & 6, have I now compromised inserting future drives in bays 1,2 & 3?  
  2. Should I and if I move these (when the unit is switched off) from 4,5,6 to 1,2,3 respectively will the whole system need to be re configured and resynced?

Thanks

Nigel

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
sotrack
Luminary

Re: Which bays should I use?

You can install HDD in any sequence and in any slots.

From HDD cooling point of view use 1,3,5 slots for 3 drives.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
sotrack
Luminary

You can install HDD in any sequence and in any slots.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, I don't think there much (if any) vibration advantage between the slots.  Low Center-of-Gravity is more about being harder to tip.

@sotrack wrote:

I agree that is a good approach, but if the temps are good now there is no need to switch anything.

@Manwithamission - what drive temps are you seeing?  Also, what drive model are you using?

Message 3 of 7
Manwithamission
Aspirant

Temp seems fine.  My second question was relating to wether it will screw the thing up if I put the drives in different slots?  Do you know if this is done when the system is shut down will it have to resync everything or will it just pick up the drives in the different slots.  Thanks

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Manwithamission wrote:

My second question was relating to wether it will screw the thing up if I put the drives in different slots?  

Yes, I understood that (just didn't answer it).

It certainly will screw things up if you do it with the unit running.

Netgear routinely recommends recording slot numbers and putting drives back into the right slots when migrating.  But I believe it will work fine if you shut down the NAS, shift the drives, and then power back up.  

I always urge people to maintain backups, since it's clear if you look at postings here that RAID is simply not enough to keep data safe.  I think its particularly important when you are manipulating disks - things can go wrong, including dropping them!  Which I did once myself Smiley Frustrated

FWIW, i see no good reason to move your drives around, so if the temps are good I'd just leave things as they are.

Message 5 of 7
Manwithamission
Aspirant

Thanks to all for answering my queary.

Nigel

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the update. You can mark a post that answered your question as the solution.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements