× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why only 1st NIC is having heating issues and that alone taking complete network down on 21400 m

pvnnpavan
Tutor

Why only 1st NIC is having heating issues and that alone taking complete network down on 21400 model

Why only 1st NIC is having heating issues and that alone taking complete network down on 21400 model

I can see NIC 1 is not working and NIC 2 is online but still network is not working properly. 

Can we disable NIC 1 permanently and what other options do we have if NIC's are not working to connect to NAS to get data 

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Why only 1st NIC is having heating issues and that alone taking complete network down on 21400 m

You can disable both IPv4 and IPv6, but I don't know if that will accomplish what you want.  I do not know if the 214 uses two completely independent channels for the two ports or has some dual-port devices.  If it has the latter, heat from one channel could affect the other.

There is no other way to access the NAS, but there are methods of using other devices to recover data.  Or, you can move the volume to a replacement OS6 NAS.

Message 2 of 10
pvnnpavan
Tutor

Do we know what exactly is causing the issue. 

Since this issue is not there before v6 upgrades.. 

NAS is working perfectly fine 24x7 through out the year. 

Is v6 causing these issues or any firmware upgrade to NIC's ???

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@pvnnpavan wrote:

Since this issue is not there before v6 upgrades.. 

What do you mean by v6 upgrades?

BTW, what is the warranty status of your NAS?   Normally it is 3 years for the original purchaser, so it might still be covered.

Message 4 of 10
pvnnpavan
Tutor

Its out of warranty. 

I did raise ticket on this issue with Netgear India 1 year back.. but not able to reach them since I am out of country and they closed the ticket. 

So its just staying without much usuage. 

Is this known hardware issue or something else ?

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@pvnnpavan wrote:

Is this known hardware issue or something else ?

As @Sandshark posted on the other thread, there was an issue some time ago.  Netgear addressed it via a driver change - I have no idea what was changed, or how that fixed the problem.

Message 6 of 10
pvnnpavan
Tutor

@stephen thanks for update. So will it be OK now to keep NAS connected to power always for wake on Lan or will it cause issues.

Looks like my NIC1 is gone and I have only NiC2...
Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@pvnnpavan wrote:
 So will it be OK now to keep NAS connected to power always for wake on Lan or will it cause issues.

Looks like my NIC1 is gone and I have only NiC2...

I hope it will be ok - and that the hardware issue won't get worse.

You might also want to test WoL on NiC2, just to make sure it is working ok.

Message 8 of 10
pvnnpavan
Tutor

Yes.. WOL is working still on both NIC's to get it online.. But once its online NIC1 stops responding in few mins.. 

Will you be to check logs or something to confirm its hardware issue only if possible. 

Or let me know if I can do some checks. 

But yes.. NIC2 is doing good. I ran some copies for last 2 days and its working ok. 

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

It's unlikely there will be anything in the logs that will help, but I guess you can look.  It's hard to say if NIC2 will continue to perform not knowing what caused the problem with NIC1 or even having a schematic.  So I recommend you keep your backup current and be prepared that you may need to replace the NAS..

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements