× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows Previous Versions Not Working (Already Read Other Threads)

lact
Aspirant

Windows Previous Versions Not Working (Already Read Other Threads)

Hi All,

I'm traditionally a Synology user, using ReadyNAS for a few Egnyte deployments and one particualr thing is driving me nuts. Really hoping someone on this forum can help?

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Windows Previous Versions Not Working (Already Read Other Threads)

Hi @lact,

NETGEAR support will also inform you the same that you will need to contact Egnyte since it worked with the non-ELC shares. It is something to do on how Egnyte manipulates the shares modules. You may inform them that Windows Previous Version works on the non-ELC share.

If you have an Egnyte case number, you can send it to me via private message. We will try escalating it to Egnyte.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@lact wrote: the "Allow Snapshot Access" and "Allow Access to Windows Previous Versions" are both checked.

"Allow Snapshot Access" is an independent setting, and isn't needed for access to Windows Previous Versions.

@lact wrote:

Re: Windows Previous Versions Not Working ...

• NAS Firmware is most recent 6.10.2

FWIW, I don't use Egynte.  

My settings are the same as yours (other than "Allow Snapshot Access", which is not checked).

"Restore Previous Versions" is working if I access the NAS share directly via the UNC path (\\nas-ip-address\share).  It is also working on a mapped drive letter for the share.  But it is not working when I map the entire data volume to a drive letter and right-click on a folder or file there.  I'm not sure if that is a bug in 6.10.2 or if it is expected behavior.

Can you try accessing ELC via the UNC path in File Manager (\\Device\ELC), and see if that works?

@JohnCM_S , @Marc_V :  Could you please follow up on whether "restore previous versions" is intended to work on a mapped data volume?

Message 2 of 16
lact
Aspirant

Hi there - thanks for taking the time to write this out - I appreciate it.

However, there is no answer here, and I see a few people were tagged who never replied.

The suggestion to check direclty in the elc share, rather than a mapped drive, also doesn't work.

Plesae remove the "solution" tag here and I'd greatly appreciate if someone from Netgear support would weigh in here, this is a case where the documentation is plainly wrong and the lack or response here is disheartening.

Message 3 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

"Allow Snapshot Access" and "Allow Access to Windows Previous Versions" are two different ways to access snapshots.  While I have done no experiments, it would not surprise me if they are mutually exclusive.  In the first case, the snapshot folder is visible, and in the second, it's hidden.  If that is the case, the GUI should make them radio buttons, not items that can both be checked.  Have you tried turning off "Allow Snapshot Access"?

Message 4 of 16
lact
Aspirant

per my original post, I have tried this already 🙂

• I also tried it without "Allow Snapshot Access" since some post somewhere mentioned that, but it didn't help either.

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@lact wrote:

The suggestion to check direclty in the elc share, rather than a mapped drive, also doesn't work.

Well, I can confirm that 

• restore previous version fails on a mapped drive
  • restore previous version fails on \\nas-ip-address\data\share-name

On my own system

• restore previous version works on \\nas-ip-address\share-name

If @JohnCM_S and/or @Marc_V don't respond, you might need to try paid netgear support.

@lact wrote:

Please remove the "solution" tag here 

This thread is not marked as solved.

Message 6 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Is System Protection enabled in Windows?  I don't know if local drive and network drive "previous versions" are tied together, and I can't test it without deletng all restore points on the PC.

Message 7 of 16
lact
Aspirant

This environment worked fine with a windows file server and with Synology NAS – so its not a device issue.

The issue is Netgear, and the thought of paying $300 to maybe fix an issue on a supposedly enterprise-grade device because the documentation is not up to date is insane.

Really hoping someone hops in here – I’ve never seen a vendor as large as netgear require jumping through such hoops to use a standard feature before ☹

Josh

Message 8 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Just to be clear:  Are you not seeing "Restore previous versions" as an option in Windows Explorer or you do see it, but attempting to do a restore fails to do so?  If it's the latter, do you see the snapshot listing when you right-click on "Restore Previous Versions", and if not, is there no pop-up, or the pop-up is empty?

Message 9 of 16
lact
Aspirant

Previous Versions tab shows up in windows- but it has no Previous versions in it - the list is empty.

Message 10 of 16
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @lact,

Egynte is a program that adds a bunch of samba modules. They control the creation of the ELC share as well as how it behaves. Have you tested it outside the ELC shares?

@StephenB wrote:

Well, I can confirm that 
  • restore previous version fails on a mapped drive
  • restore previous version fails on \\nas-ip-address\data\share-name

On my own system

• restore previous version works on \\nas-ip-address\share-name

It should work on any connection to the UNC path (\\ip\share or \\hostname\share), but doing '\\ip\volume\share' or '\\hostname\volume\share' is not the same thing. You should not be authenticating as admin.

Regards,

Message 11 of 16
lact
Aspirant

@JohnCM_SI'll check it tomorrow - Egnyte told me this has nothing to do with them, the feature is owned by Netgear and refused to help me. So I came to Netgear since I assumed it was a Netgear issue. This is the classic situation of two vendors pointing at each other and no one providing any help.

I'll have to create a non-ELC share and see if it works - I only use this device for Egnyte so don't currently have any.

If it does work...am I just stuck in limbo between two vendors who won't help me? Or if I spin up a paid support request can Netgear help?

Message 12 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

I have confirmed on my machine that I can access previous versions when logged in as admin if I access (directly, or as a mapped drive) \NASName\Share or \NAS.IP\Share but I cannot see any when I access \\NASName\data\Share or \\NAS/IP\data\Share.  They are also accessible to a standard user with privilages to the share.  But, of course, standard users can't see \\NAS\data.

So it may have nothing to do with Egnyte, but be the second point @JohnCM_S noted.

Message 13 of 16
lact
Aspirant

Well... I can confirm Previous Versions are working in every folder execpt for ELC ( I just clicked into the empty default Documents, Photos etc shares and noticed the Previous Versions work) .

@JohnCM_S  If I pay for the paid support will someone from Netgear be able to help me? Egnyte has already refused to help and claimed this is purely a Netgear issue that they have nothing to do with so I'm at a loss currently...

thanks

Message 14 of 16
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @lact,

NETGEAR support will also inform you the same that you will need to contact Egnyte since it worked with the non-ELC shares. It is something to do on how Egnyte manipulates the shares modules. You may inform them that Windows Previous Version works on the non-ELC share.

If you have an Egnyte case number, you can send it to me via private message. We will try escalating it to Egnyte.

Regards,

Message 15 of 16
lact
Aspirant

@JohnCM_Sprivate message sent!

I guess we can mark this thread as solved 🙂

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements