× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X-Raid 2 Expansion

obermike
Aspirant

X-Raid 2 Expansion

I have a readyNas Pro containing 4, 1-GB discs set in X-RAID2 configuration. I added an additional 2GB disc and then rebooted, but it only allocated 1GB towards the capacity despite showing 2GB (1863mb) volume. I see that some of the X-RAID information (not sure if this applies to X-RAID 2) states all discs must be replaced by larger volume discs for expansion to occur which implies the volume capacity is limited by the smallest volume individual disc. This seems to be in conflict with the X-RAID2 demonstration video here: http://www.readynas.com/?p=656
This video shows the volume capacity increasing every time a larger disc is added.

Can someone clarify how volume expansion occurs with different capacity discs in X-RAID 2?
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: X-Raid 2 Expansion

X-RAID2 is not the same as X-RAID.

Add a second 2TB disk and you will get vertical expansion assuming you are using the default single-redundancy (If using dual-redundancy Frontview would indicate this on the volumes page).

You may be prompted to reboot before vertical expansion will take place.
Message 2 of 4
obermike
Aspirant

Thanks...that answers my question!
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome. Think of X-RAID2 as a "redundant" volume. If you have 4x1TB disks and 1x2TB disk then only 1TB of the 2TB disk can be made redundant (i.e. any one disk fails, data remains intact). However with 4x1TB disks and 2x2TB disks you would have a 6x1TB RAID-5 layer and a 2x1TB RAID-1 layer on top.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements