× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XRAID2 Capacity 4x2TB = 3.7TB?

losgatos_mark
Aspirant

XRAID2 Capacity 4x2TB = 3.7TB?

Hi Folks -

I have a Ultra 6+ with Four 2TB Seagate LP drives that I migrated from my Pioneer NVX while it is being exchanged (burning odor:power supply swap).
( FWIW I love how much quieter the Ultra 6 is! )

These are XRaid2, SINGLE Redundant. From what I've read, with one drive for redundancy, I think I should be getting 3 x 2TB x .93 = ~5.5TB; I'm getting 3.7TB.

Am I missing something? I would understand this sizing if it were Dual Redundant, but it is not.

Finally - I'm pretty certain that the only way to get to the capacity I think is correct would be to get some new drives, factory default, rebuild and restore - right?

thanks for your time.

- Mark
Message 1 of 6
TeknoJnky
Hero

yes you should be getting ~5.5tb

sounds like you expanded to the 2tb drives at some point and the 2nd raid layer did not finish expanding.

One of the things that can prevent that is all of the drives are not 4k aligned, ie you upgraded at different times with different firmwares.

you can download all logs and look at the partitions log and see if any of the disks have differing starting sectors, and then re-seat those drive(s) one at a time, ensuring the array is 'redundant' before removing the next.

else, you should open an online suport ticket and be prepared for them to remote in and check the device itself.
Message 2 of 6
losgatos_mark
Aspirant

thanks for the tip - the partition log does show that /dev/sdb has a different (first usable sector & # of partition table entries & Free space).

I'll try removing that drive and re-inserting it.

- mark
Message 3 of 6
losgatos_mark
Aspirant

fwiw - removing the drive that had the odd starting sector, etc. and using a pc to delete the existing partitions, then re-installing into the ReadyNas for re-synching resulted in partition tables that are all the same now and absolutely no additional storage space.

I'm inclined to re-build from scratch unless there's some other idea of what could be wrong...

- mark
Message 4 of 6
TeknoJnky
Hero

you may need to reboot once or twice after the resync completes.

and again, support may be able to remote in and figure out the problem, just need to open an online support ticket.

But if rebuilding from scratch is fine with you, that may be the better way so you start with a clean ext4 array
Message 5 of 6
losgatos_mark
Aspirant

as a follow up, I did rebuild the array from a factory reset and still found that the volume expansion wasn't happening.

Perhaps I missed this, but I found that I had to disable the community add-ons that I've been using before rebooting to get the volume expansion to occur.

- mark
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements