× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: backup of local machine Newbie

scormier101
Aspirant

backup of local machine Newbie

I just bought an Ultra 2 model, assuming that I would be able to create automated backup jobs of several local machines.
Also, I want to have shares on the NAS backedup on a usb key one a week
How do I do all that, this NAS is confusing to me
Thanks for the help
Message 1 of 7
TJay1
Aspirant

What operating systems are the machines running that you want to back up?

And you want to backup your shares to your USB drive?
Message 2 of 7
scormier101
Aspirant

I need to back up 4 or 5 machines, all running XP Sp3

Currently, I have a setup where the shares are backed up to the backup share (just in case someone makes a mistake with their files), But I'll like to get home with a USB key that would have a copy of that backup folder.

I'm a bit confused with the interface of the product, your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Message 3 of 7
TJay1
Aspirant

Hey sormier,
You just need to plug in a USB drive into the front the same size or bigger than your share.

Then setup a backup for the share to backup to the Front USB.(See Picture)

In this picture i am backing up the whole c drive, you dont need to do this but i like to have a full backup of my stuff.

Once the backup is complete you can remove the drive and take that home with you.

Is that what you meant?
Message 4 of 7
scormier101
Aspirant

Does Volume C, includes all the shares? If yes that is what I want.

Also, I want adn need to back up 4-5 computers that are on the LAN to the readyNAS, Any help on this?

Thanks a lot!

Scormier
Message 5 of 7
TJay1
Aspirant

Hey scormier,
Volume C is all the shares yes.

And you could map the network drive to each of the five machine and prompt the users to use the mapped drive to store any files, also advise the user that this will back up the files also.

Or, you could setup a backup on the machine which backup the users profile to the machine. http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true

Alternatively you could write a batch script that is run by a scheduled task that will copy the files from the machines to the network drive.
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how- ... files-1547
Message 6 of 7
TJay1
Aspirant

If you need anymore help with backing up the Readynas - check out my guide Backing up the ReadyNAS
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements