× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can't start vm's after moving readynas

mnisadmin
Aspirant

can't start vm's after moving readynas

Hi,

WE have readynas 4200, connected to ESXi 5.0 hosts. We had vm's, VC etc all running and working well until we had to move the servers and the NAS from one server room to the other.

The server and the NAS IP address and subnet and gateway have changed and I have updated them. I can login directly to the ESXi hosts. From other VC (in another DC), I added the hosts and the NFS to these hosts but I can't start the vm's as I get an error "could not find a suitable host to start the vm"

what I noticed is that prior to the move, the vm's and vmdk files were owned and created as root but not they can't ready those files and when I created a test vm, its being created as nfsnobod. I can't chmod -R root:root and I think it stuffed up somewhere.

can someone please advise.Thanks
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

chmod is for permissions. chown is for ownership.

What version of RAIDiator are you running?

Is it all the same hardware (switches, server etc. as in the old server room)?
Message 2 of 8
mnisadmin
Aspirant

Yes, all h/w is the same. The only thing is changed is the IP address.

And I made a type...I tried chown -R but got error.
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well what happens if you try to change the IP address back to what it was before?
Message 4 of 8
mnisadmin
Aspirant

I won't be able to change the IP back to what it was becuase it has been physically moved from one DC to another...even if I change it, the NAS will not be availabe
Message 5 of 8
VMColonel
Aspirant

From your symptom (files being created as the non-root user) this sounds like an ACL issue.

Just to be sure, SSH into that ESX host and create a new file on the NFS export. When you create a new file that file it should get created as "nfsnobody" that would likely indicate a permissions issue in the array. If the file gets created as root, that will be more problematic.

If your doing this through Virtual Center, try connecting a VI client directly to the ESX host in question and try powering up the VM that way, does that work? What about attempting to start the VM from the command line? If not, what error do these methods give?

I also see that this array isn't certified for use in ESX 5i. (http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide ... 0&vcl=true) This could be a problem, you may wish to find out why the device isn't certified for use in an ESX 5i environment, if there was a technical barrier you may wish to consider alternative options (Either a different version of ESX, or a different NAS) if it's in the process of being added then you should be fine.

Cheers!
Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Support for iSCSI with ESXi 5 is added in the 4.2.20 betas. I think NFS should work fine but you might want to give 4.2.20 beta a try.
Message 7 of 8
mnisadmin
Aspirant

Guys,
the problem was with permissions and I have added root access for the servers with IP address instead of FQDN and it works.

many many thanks for all those who helped.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements