× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: fan speed on Ultra 4 / OS6

miels
Tutor

fan speed on Ultra 4 / OS6

I've recently installed OS6 (v 6.2.3 T1741) on my Readynas Ultra 4. The fan is quite loud: running at 2700 RPM which seems unneccesary at 77 F / 25C.

This post though http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=160&t=71155 mentions:
>> EDIT - 2014-04-12 <<
Before to hack your system, update first to 6.1.7. Built-in fancontrol support is there!

And in the closing post:
postby mdgm » Fri 23-Jan-2015 02:33
It's quite a while since the previous post in the thread and things do change.
The fan speeds are set correctly on current OS6 firmware for all legacy x86 NAS. No need to do any hacks.

But apparently this doesn't seem to work on the Ultra 4? Or are there settings that I should check?
Message 1 of 8
gibxxi
Guide

It's the same on the Pro 4 as well. My temps are reading 18 degrees C, and the fan is spinning at 2600rpm. Although it has slowed down since startup, where it was at 2700rpm.

Will let it run for a while and see if it comes down any more before trying to hack around with the settings. I've downgraded from the 6.2.3 beta posted by mdgm in the "Upgrade OS4 Straight To..." thread, to 6.2.2, no change.

EDIT: Guess I spoke too soon. After 1 hour it's gradually dropped down to 1844rpm. It's still faster than it was under OS4, but where it sits, under my desk, it's practically inaudible. Happy days. Next test will be to see what happens after a normal reboot.
Message 2 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Ultra 4 fan does have a higher minimum fan speed than some other legacy models.
Message 3 of 8
miels
Tutor

After waiting for a day it still was way louder then on OS4, so I implemented the fancontrol manually, as described in my first post.

I ran pwmconfig which gave exactly the same figures as in the post. I figured it couln'd hurt tuning the lowest power a bit down. Still plenty of RPMs to prevent the fan from stopping. So I now have:

# Configuration file generated by pwmconfig, changes will be lost
INTERVAL=10
DEVPATH=hwmon0=devices/platform/coretemp.0 hwmon1=devices/platform/it87.2576
DEVNAME=hwmon0=coretemp hwmon1=it8721
FCTEMPS=hwmon1/device/pwm1=hwmon0/device/temp2_input
FCFANS=hwmon1/device/pwm1=hwmon1/device/fan1_input
MINTEMP=hwmon1/device/pwm1=50
MAXTEMP=hwmon1/device/pwm1=60
MINSTART=hwmon1/device/pwm1=60
MINSTOP=hwmon1/device/pwm1=55
MINPWM=hwmon1/device/pwm1=55
MAXPWM=hwmon1/device/pwm1=255

Everywhere where it states 55 it used to be 60.

Without fancontrol RPM was at 260
With fancontrol implemented with original settings (60) RPM was at 1780 (CPU running on 29 C). Stepping down to 55 resulted in 1670 RPM, which was quite a difference regarding noise.
Message 4 of 8
mangrove
Apprentice

mdgm wrote:
The Ultra 4 fan does have a higher minimum fan speed than some other legacy models.

May I ask why? Is it because some of the Ultra4 models lack a separate cooling fan for the PSU and thus needs more airflow to keep it safe? Ultra2 has an external power brick, Ultra6 has its own fan for the power supply...

Personally I have modded my (fanless) Ultra4 PSU with an additional, quiet 40mm fan.
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's the reason.
Message 6 of 8
mangrove
Apprentice

Thanks.
Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

My Ultra 4 running 6.2.2 and my Ultra4Plus running 4.2.27, which have similar disk configurations, both run at around 1750RPM.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements