× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: file permission

ablevy
Aspirant

file permission

I am currently running win7 on a Lenovo X200s. I recently installed an SSD and want to reinstall MS Office 2003 from the NAS since I don't have an external DVD/CD player. I have the files stored in a share called downloads/ms Office. The share is setup such that the access is read/write. On my Lenovo the share shows and I can access the share and the office directory. What I can't do is run setup.exe. AFter telling windows that yes I want to run it, Win7 comes back and tells me it can't access setup.exe and I don't have permission to access the file. If I go into Windows explorer and look at the properties, it shows the file to be read only. When I go into properties, I can't change it, nor can I change it from from the security tab.

Any suggestions?

Alan
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

(a) what NAS model (and firmware)?
(b) can you copy the files to the Lenovo and run the setup from the local copy?
Message 2 of 7
ablevy
Aspirant

I'm running a Netgear NVX. I haven't tried to copy it down to my hard drive. I also have the original cd so I can use my desktop to put it on a usb stick also if I need to. I'm not in much hurry though and really want to figure out a general fix for the permission issue in case I run into it again. After all the reason I swtarted copying some of my software to the NAS was to make it convenient to reload it if I need to.

Alan
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Thx. If (b) also failed, then that might be useful troubleshooting information.

Have you tried resetting the owners and permissions from the advanced tab in Frontview?
Message 4 of 7
InTheShires
Tutor

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/offic ... 40193.aspx

I used this method years ago, I'm guessing things haven't changed much.
Message 5 of 7
ablevy
Aspirant

Thanks for the Microsoft link. I think the issue is less complicated than that mostly because I installed this on the previous hard disk from the NAS 4 years ago when I bought the computer. Well it might have been my old NAS (readynas). In addition, I can open other files from the nas such as html, text files, etc. All of the application files that I tried show either as read only or archive. What I think happened is that the permissions were changed when I moved the share on the NAS. Windows 7 does some funky things to protect you running bad software, and I think that's what is happening.

Next step is to play with the permissions from Frontview. Any other suggestions are welcome as always. And thanks for your previous suggestions.

Alan
Message 6 of 7
ablevy
Aspirant

Well the issue is less complex, just obscure. StephenB had it right, I just couldn't figure out what was wrong since everything except executables had the correct permissions and the permissions for the share were set to "read/write" The trick is to go to the advanced page and check the box next to:

Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings. This option is useful in cases where you are changing security levels and need to workaround file access problems.

Ok, it isn't that obscure, just hidden at the bottom of an advanced menu. I did miss it the first time I went to the advanced menu. In any case once I checked the box and hit apply all the permissions on the existing files were changed to read/write, and word installed in about 3 minutes. Now if only I can remember that 4 years from now when I need to do something like this.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and I hope this thread helps someone else with this problem.

Alan
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements