× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: folder owner, how does it work? I don't know how I fixed my problem :)

netghiro
Aspirant

folder owner, how does it work? I don't know how I fixed my problem :)

Hi,

I'm just setting up a newly bought ReadyNAS 312 and having some difficulties with basic tasks.

I couldn't see my share but I apparently "fixed" the problem.

The problem now is I don't know how I did it.. and since I'm a bit of a newbie I'd like to understand (especially the obscure field of "file permissions").

Hope somebody could please help me 🙂

Here a description of the problem:

I just created a user and a folder/share for some testing with a Mac (OS X updated).

Under "network access" I both enable AFP and SMB and gave read/write access to the previously created user and to admin as well.

Under "file access" I gave again read/write permissions to my user and to Folder Owner.

Now when in finder I can see the NAS unit 2 times (one named afp and one named smb).

Under SMB I can see my folder but can't see the content, under AFP I've got a failed login.

How I fixed (but don't know why):

I started looking around and even checking the router configuration (I just enabled IMGP, but I think this didn't help at all).

So I carefully started too look to all of my share settings.. the only thing I didn't notice before was that we can decide who the Folder Owner is, so I choose my username rather then "guest".

So apparently I don't understand what is a folder owner, and the purpose of it.

Does the same concept apply to unix file sytems? (so I better learn about it) or is it just something related to samba/afp?

Thanks for any clarification, or if you could just point me 🙂

There's a lot to learn I know, but I'd better start somewhere...

UPDATE: I just tried to disable read/write permission to Folder Owner and everything goes back like before: non access to the share.

Message 1 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

The username and password of the nas user should match that of the PC or Mac username/ password combination. 

I have the folder owner as admin, and the group as "users" .  You should then be ble to give access to the whole users group but if you wish you can allow only one user access by setting the access rights.

Message 2 of 6
netghiro
Aspirant

@vandermerwe wrote:

The username and password of the nas user should match that of the PC or Mac username/ password combination.

Is that true for both smb/afp?

I have the folder owner as admin, and the group as "users" .  You should then be ble to give access to the whole users group but if you wish you can allow only one user access by setting the access rights.

I still don't understand the purpose of a separate folder owner.

By the way thanks for help!

Message 3 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi netghiro,

You might want to check this thread Network Access vs File Access

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

From my experience the best setup is to leave file access unrestricted (allow access for everyone) and impose restrictions using network access only. From a security point of view, this will not be a problem as file access rights will not overrule network access restrictions.

Bye,

Eskender

Message 5 of 6
netghiro
Aspirant

Thanks everybody for helping me.

For sure I need to dig more into file permissions and protocols.. and the manual 🙂

I still honestly don't understand why we can change the "folder owner" in the file access (drop list menu) settings and what affects: every folder in the share? all new folders created in the share?

Sorry to keep bothering...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements