× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

frontview no longer displays shares #24440489

kenalker
Aspirant

frontview no longer displays shares #24440489

I bought a new RN314 last week and immediately updated it to OS 6.2.2. I rebuilt the volume as RAID10 (named it "data"). Since the default shares (Backup, Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures) are not re-created when one does this, I re-created them manually (using all lower case, if it matters any). I then created a couple of user accounts. Next, I used frontview's backup feature (via NFS) to copy data over from my NV+. I did this successfully for three shares. I was using the same backup job and simply modifying the source and destination path each time I wanted to copy the next share.

For the next copy operation, I successfully modified my source path, but in the "Type" field for the Destination, it said "No longer exists." I pull downed on the Type field and saw that my only two options were "home" and "usb". The share options were missing. I then restarted the RN314 via frontview (after spending several minutes hunting around the not-so-intuitive GUI for the option).

After rebooting, I clicked on the Shares tab and found that the only share frontview displays is "Home Folders". This explains why the backup option was giving me the above described problem (frontview was suddenly unaware of my shares). Rebooting probably made no difference (the shares likely had already disappeared from frontview, and the reboot didn't fix anything).

When I ssh into the RN314, I see that the directories (aka "shares") are all still intact and the data I copied over seems to be there. In fact, I can see the shares (and their contents) from Windows Explorer via Samba (SMB).

Does anyone know why frontview is failing in this way and what I can do to fix it? I guess it doesn't just scan the volume to find out what shares exist. Perhaps it maintains a .conf file or database listing the shares it expects to see, and perhaps the requisite files got munged (but how/why)?
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: frontview no longer displays shares, yet they still exis

When you say you re-created the shares manually did you recreate the shares via the Dashboard (web admin UI)?
Message 2 of 6
kenalker
Aspirant

I logged in via the web GUI as admin to get to the Admin Page, clicked on Shares, then clicked on New Folder (once for each new share). The shares all appeared in the GUI. I used this Admin Page for all operations (I was not using SSH/shell other than to look around at the results). I was calling the web GUI "frontview" in my initial post (perhaps incorrectly).
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 4 of 6
kenalker
Aspirant

Done.
Message 5 of 6
kenalker
Aspirant

Here I'm following along with the log file called "status.log", giving some more detail as to what was happening:
0) upgraded to 6.2.2
1) deleted RAID5 volume 'data"
2) added RAID10 volume "VOLUME"
3) deleted as volume name of "VOLUME" could lead to confusion
4) added RAID10 volume "ALKER" (my last name)
5) rebuilt volume "ALKER"
6) deleted volume "ALKER" after reading that best to use default volume name "data" and could not figure out how to rename a volume
7) added RAID10 volume "data" and rebuilt (another 5 hours, 20 minutes...)
😎 added user "ken" (me)
9) added user "lena" (my wife)
10) added shares 'backup', 'documents', 'music', 'pictures', and 'videos'
11 added backup job 'temp1'; rsync wants to include path in copied content; no good
12) added backup job 'temp2'; another failed rsync attempt
13) added backup job 'temp-nfs'
14) ran and cancelled backup job 'temp-nfs'; not quite right - had to teak parameters
15) ran and completed backup job 'temp-nfs' which copied NV+ /media/Music to RN314 /data/music
16) modified backup job to copy next share (NV+ /media/Videos to RN314 /data/videos) and started the job
17) snapshots ran on all five (5) shares while backup was in progress [COULD THIS BE THE CULPRIT????]
18) share "videos" copied successfully
19) modified backup job to copy next share (NV+ /media/Pictures to RN314 /data/pictures) and started the job
20) share "pictures" copied successfully
21) modified backup job to copy NV+ /media to RN314 /data/documents (I had a bunch of stuff in the media root that didn't map directly to a new RN314 share)
22) started backup job but nothing was being copied. Canceled job
23) Changed from "schedule full backup" "first time" to "every time" thinking this might fix things
24) seemed to be working but was copying subfolders I'd already copied (under /media) so after a while I canceled it with intention of redoing job with certain directories excluded
25) Now I'm seeing "No longer exists" for the backup "Type" (per above) which seems to translate to "source cannot be mounted on the system" in the logs
26) Goofed around with backup settings for a while with no positive results so rebooted
27) Found that frontview (web Admin GUI) no longer knows about any of my shares
28) Try several other things; poke around; cry for help
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements