× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: gpio_it87: Unknown Chip found, Chip 8721 Revision 4

MacRob
Aspirant

gpio_it87: Unknown Chip found, Chip 8721 Revision 4

Anyone know if this is recoverable?

This started after I updated to 6.7.4. Everything was fine until I had to reboot. I did the shutdown and powered off, when I rebooted it came up with "mount_block_root+1f1".

I did some research on here and talked with a moderator who suggested USBrecovery. I tried it many many times with different flash drives, rufus, macOS, windows, etc. Eventually I did get it to boot to a command prompt. The moderator connected and ran some scripts in win 98. The moderator said that it would shut down when done and it would have to be rebooted 3 times to finish. When it shut down, I did reboot, but win 98 came up again, and again and again. The moderator was unsure why this happened, suggested I try USBrecovery again.

Now If I boot without any flash drive, I get a black screen, and NAS says booting.

If I try a USBrecovery I get 

root

loading kernel..........OK

loading initrd..........OK

????  LEDprobe: no compatible platform

anyone heard of this before? or should I just trash it and go buy a synology?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
MacRob
Aspirant

Ok, this is strange, but here is what I did...

I downloaded this new version of USBrecovery and installed on all 6 flash drives, letting it do the formatting and install.

I tried each drive, letting it boot,

root

After about 30 second it shut down each time

I took all the flas drives back to the cpu and used rufus to format, then loaded the rest with USB recovery, and tried again

root

The difference I saw was that I didnt get the message about incompatible platform. and every time it powered off afterwords, with the old one, sometimes it did and sometimes not. And on the screen on the 316 before would say booting then change to BOOTING. And with this new one it said USB RECOVERY.

So after they all failed, I was gathering up my drives and disconnected the keyboard, I hit the power button again figuring what the hell, fully expecting to get just a black screen. I walked out of the room and when I returned the screen was full of text ?! The most important was the text on the door screen that said no valid disks ( I had removed them earlier to prevent screwing them up)  I quickly powered down and installed them an rebooted, I got the same screen of text, but on the door it said installing firmware followed by booting progress bar. I thought it was too good to be true so I went to my cpu and radAIR found it right away, then I loaded my admin page and everything was fine. I couldnt believe it, I shut er down at least 10 times and rebooted (thats what started this mess after the last update), then did a factory default with another 10 or so reboots, and I cant find any problems. I am back in full use, but still backing everything up (I may be a little skiddish). Thanks to all especially mdgm, I thought I was going to have to trash this unit. I don't know exactly what did it but it worked!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you are the original purchaser from an authorised reseller please contact support.

If not, try more USB sticks.

There are suggestions here on using Rufus to create the USB Boot Recovery key and an alternative initrd.gz and kernel that you can try to put the NAS in a tech support mode like state.

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

When it comes to USB flash drives for recovery, I found that older is better.  An old Lexar 2GB was the one I found that worked.  A newer 8 and 16 I had did not.

Message 3 of 7
MacRob
Aspirant

Thanks for the tips, but nothing is working. I have 6 flash drives, of various ages, I have tried a couple hard drives partitioned down to a reasonable size. I have 2 usb sd card readers with several cards, but nothing works.

I have tried to contact Netgear and PAY for support, but I'm not the original owner, so they abandoned me. I have looked for 3rd party support, nobody qualified.

So I have to tip my hat to netgear on successfully creating a customer who will NEVER give another penny to them, or any type of positive recommendation. I only installed an update that THEY created and THEY recommended and it has bricked my system. So now THEY expect me to go buy another one?!? It's a good thing car manufacturers dont use this type of support system.

So seeing as my 316 is essentially considered bricked by netgear, lets see if anyone has any good tools or recomendations to get into this thing. I am going to look into the PXE boot option, and I also saw that you can boot directly to SSHshell? in the bios. 

Anyone with any good tools or recommendations are welcome!

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 4 of 7
MacRob
Aspirant

Turns out that the it8721 is a chip used for fan control

Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can ignore that error. It's not why USB Boot Recovery didn't work.

Perhaps try an experimental version of USB Boot Recovery with some improvements: https://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdgm/usbbootrecovery/usbrecovery.v2.0.R15-T3.zip

Message 6 of 7
MacRob
Aspirant

Ok, this is strange, but here is what I did...

I downloaded this new version of USBrecovery and installed on all 6 flash drives, letting it do the formatting and install.

I tried each drive, letting it boot,

root

I took all the flas drives back to the cpu and used rufus to format, then loaded the rest with USB recovery, and tried again

root

The difference I saw was that I didnt get the message about incompatible platform. and every time it powered off afterwords, with the old one, sometimes it did and sometimes not. And on the screen on the 316 before would say booting then change to BOOTING. And with this new one it said USB RECOVERY.

So after they all failed, I was gathering up my drives and disconnected the keyboard, I hit the power button again figuring what the hell, fully expecting to get just a black screen. I walked out of the room and when I returned the screen was full of text ?! The most important was the text on the door screen that said no valid disks ( I had removed them earlier to prevent screwing them up)  I quickly powered down and installed them an rebooted, I got the same screen of text, but on the door it said installing firmware followed by booting progress bar. I thought it was too good to be true so I went to my cpu and radAIR found it right away, then I loaded my admin page and everything was fine. I couldnt believe it, I shut er down at least 10 times and rebooted (thats what started this mess after the last update), then did a factory default with another 10 or so reboots, and I cant find any problems. I am back in full use, but still backing everything up (I may be a little skiddish). Thanks to all especially mdgm, I thought I was going to have to trash this unit. I don't know exactly what did it but it worked!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements