× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: guest login for unprotected shares?

few
Aspirant
Aspirant

guest login for unprotected shares?

Hi,

In our lab we had two NAS's. A ReadyNAS 600A, and a ReadyNAS NV+. The 600A died after we upgraded it to the latest firmware and a drive failed (the volume was corrupted and the nvram failed when we tried usb and network boot recoveries). We bought a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to replace/upgrade the older NAS. The Ultra4 is set up with shares and visible through Raidar and the http/html interface.

With the Ultra 4, the new shares are not visible on our windows network under the assigned workgroup & CIFS hostname (teracube). When I try to access the device using "\\teracube" in a windows folder address bar, I get the error "\\teracube is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure: account currently disabled.". I have CIFS access enabled for all shares on the device. Default access is read/write on all shares. Allow guest access is checked for all shares. The share is NOT hidden using the " Hide this share when a user browses the ReadyNAS for available shares." option.

I want the device to be publicly accessible on our network, for all shares to be visible, and not to require a login for file access & modification.

How can I set this up correctly?

Thanks!
Few
Message 1 of 5
few
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone have suggestions? I'm currently trying to set this up.
Message 2 of 5
johnkromo
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Anybody out there can help please? John
Message 3 of 5
few
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I have solved the issue for myself. I'm disappointed that no one from NETGEAR has responded.

I was having 2 issues:

First, there was a user account on my windows computer with the same name as one of the shares on the NAS. Due to that, the computer could not see the NAS at all when browsing through the windows file explorer. To solve this you have to rename on of the accounts. I changed the share name, and could immediately see the NAS on the network.

Second, the permissions setup on the new NAS is ridiculously confusing. To fix them for guest access, log into the access panel at https://NASNAME/admin/ and follow these instructions.

Click "Shares" -> "Share Listing". Click the "paper & pencil" icon under "CIFS" beside the share you want to fix.

In the CIFS tab:
Make sure "Default Access:" is set to read/write.
Check "Allow guest access".
Under "Advanced CIFS Permission"
Check "Automatically set permissions on new files and folders."
Check "Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this."

Hit Apply.

In the "Advanced Options" tab:
Set "Share folder owner:" to "guest"
Set "Share folder group:" to "nogroup"
Check "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings. This option is useful in cases where you are changing security levels and need to workaround file access problems."
Check "Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files."

Hit Apply.

Voila!
Message 4 of 5
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

few wrote:
I think I have solved the issue for myself. I'm disappointed that no one from NETGEAR has responded.

If you're not getting a response from the forum quickly enough, the best thing to do is to contact our official support team. They work on customer issues full time while forum posters post on an as-time-permits basis.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements