× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

help with backing up multiple PC's

iAmRockinRich
Aspirant

help with backing up multiple PC's

I purchased shadow 5 to back up multiple computers. The problem I am having is how do I back up without one computer deleting files from another computer backup? I have four folders, DOCUMENTS MUSIC VIDEO PICTURES. so for example I would like pictures from all of my computers to be in the PICTURES folder. Likewise for DOCUMENTS MUSIC VIDEO FOLDERS. Is this even possible? thanks for the help.
Rich
Message 1 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: help with backing up multiple PC's

I am not aware of any backup software that would allow you to consolidate data from multiple sources like that.

Rather software such as shadow will require you to maintain separate backups of each PC

You may be able to setup different backup jobs to store data into sub-folders of your NAS shares eg

\\computer1\music -> \\nas\music\computer1
\\computer2\music -> \\nas\music\computer2
Etc
Message 2 of 14
iAmRockinRich
Aspirant

Yeah. That is basically what I do now. But I read somewhere that a NAS is supposed to go out and look for you files and back them up for you. Find the pictures on all of you PC's and put them in the pictures folder on the NAS. Same with Documents, Videos, and Music folders. Right or wrong? It would seem to be easier cutting down on duplicate and triplicate files this way.
Message 3 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

Don't know where you read that - it is not correct. No consumer NAS that I'm aware of supports such a feature or includes data deduplication and/or consolidation capabilities

The NAS can "pull" data from a remote source such as your PC, but backup clients like Shadow that "push" data to the NAS offer far greater capabilities and control and are to be recommended
Message 4 of 14
maxblack
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
The NAS can "pull" data from a remote source such as your PC, but backup clients like Shadow that "push" data to the NAS offer far greater capabilities and control and are to be recommended

I can recommend SyncBack. Runs on your PCs and you can tell it to write to a NAS location and leave existing files alone.
Message 5 of 14
iAmRockinRich
Aspirant

Oh Ok. I will look into syncback. seems pretty popular here. I use goodsync. I can do that but have to turn off deleting of files. You would think someone could make a software that could sync ONLY the files a PC put into a folder without touching other files from other PC's.
Message 6 of 14
jaimeharris
Aspirant

I am looking to do something similar, I think.

Thinking of terms of using SQL, I would like to left join a folder on my ReadyNAS with a folder on my PC. Specifically, I subscribe to several podcasts that I like to keep copies of. I put the older copies in a folder on the NAS (e.g. share/Podcasts/Podcast_name1) and delete them from my PC. When I download the next podcast on my PC, I would like to write a script or use Rsync or some other automation to keep whatever is in the NAS folder and only add to that folder what is not there. Ideally, I would like to set this up so it does the same thing for each subdirectory of the Podcasts directory. In other words, I would like to add all new PC files to //share/Podcasts/Podcast_name1 from //PC/Podcasts/Podcast_name1 and then do the same exact thing for /Podcast_name2 (e.g. add all files that are in //PC/Podcasts/Podcast_name2 to //share/Podcasts/Podcast_name2).

Does anyone know of any potential solution? I have a ReadyNAS NV+ and a ReadyNAS Pro4. I am open to using rsync, a commercial program, or even scripting using Python, though I'm somewhat of a novice with rsync and Python.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post. Is it okay to attach this post to this tread? They seemed related/relevant to me. Happy Holidays!
Message 7 of 14
jaimeharris
Aspirant

I found this post that seems to be related to the OP: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25800
Message 8 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

Syncback will do what you require, as will most such backup utilities which only copy files that have changed or are new
Message 9 of 14
jaimeharris
Aspirant

sphardy, thanks for your reply!
Message 10 of 14
jaimeharris
Aspirant

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention...my network is mixed PCs and OS X, so Syncback may not be an option, so I'll look for something similar.

So, setting the backup to only backup files that are new will not delete files on the backup that have been deleted from the source, is that correct?

Thanks again, and if I am asking redundant questions, please direct me to the appropriate thread/resource.
Message 11 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

jaimeharris wrote:
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention...my network is mixed PCs and OS X, so Syncback may not be an option, so I'll look for something similar.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a free Mac app - simple but reliable. SuperDuper is probably the most popular commercial mac app (Sync back comes as a free and more capable commercial app)

So, setting the backup to only backup files that are new will not delete files on the backup that have been deleted from the source, is that correct?

If setup correctly, yes.
Message 12 of 14
jaimeharris
Aspirant

sphardy, thanks again for the detailed and prompt reply.
One other question for you--I was doing more searching and reading on the forums, and I found a post about rsync and DeltaCopy that you replied to: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=54562

I am trying to understand how programs like GoodSync, SyncBack, SyncToy, and SuperDuper! differ from solutions like DeltaCopy and rsync.
If I understand correctly, rsync is a command-line program. DeltaCopy adds a GUI to the command-line functions of rsync. GoodSync, SyncBack, SyncToy, and SuperDuper! all aim to achieve similar things as rsync, but do not use rsync and instead use their own algorithms.

I've gotten to the point where I understand that what I want to do is a one-way backup without propagating deletions. I want to do this on a local network with my ReadyNAS Pro as the backup destination and the PC and Mac as sources (though the majority of the data will be coming from the PC). Can I achieve this simply by using rsync? All of these different options are incredibly confusing for me. If I want to use rsync, do I need to install DeltaCopy, or can I do it all from Frontview?

Thanks so much for the help!
Message 13 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

There are many, many backup applications out there which will meet your needs - which to use is a subjective decision you must make for yourself based on your environment & specific requirements. My suggestions are based on the experience I have and what work for me.

Rsync is an open source linux/OSX application that has been ported to Windows (eg DeltaCopy) but which can be difficult to use under Windows due to differences between the OS. Therefore for new users I would still recommend an application designed specifically for windows like syncback. Rsync is used internally by CCC on OSX. Not sure about SuperDuper as I don't use it - I use CCC - just know it is very popular & highly regarded among Mac users.

I would not recommend that you try to "pull" data from your clients via Frontview Backup - while it can be done, options are very limited. A backup application running on the client is a far easier to use and more capable option

Your next step should be to try the various applications
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements