× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to attach NAS to sound bar for movies?

luckyinpa
Aspirant

how to attach NAS to sound bar for movies?

readynas 422

if i put movies on the readynas they are easy to stream to my sony tv. however id love to pipe the sound to my sound bar.

right now my tivo HDMI goes to the soundbar then hdmi from the bar to the sony but i cannot figure out how to get the sound thru my soundbar from NAS

Model: RN4220S|ReadyNAS 4220 2xSFP+ (chassis only)
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: how to attach NAS to sound bar for movies?

Simple: You can't do this on the NAS. The audio signal has to come from the TV to the soundbar. This is done by HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel if TV and soundbar does support it. Alternate approach is using a optical TOSlink from the TV to the soundbar.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: how to attach NAS to sound bar for movies?

@schumaku wrote:

The audio signal has to come from the TV to the soundbar. This is done by HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel if TV and soundbar does support it. Alternate approach is using a optical TOSlink from the TV to the soundbar.

Of course if you are using a receiver or media player, the cabling could connect to those devices (not directly to the TV).

But as @schumaku says, not from the NAS - it is just streaming over it's ethernet connection.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements