× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iTunes Server and Apple TV?

pauls898
Aspirant

iTunes Server and Apple TV?

I just purchased an Apple TV Box in the hope I can get it to work with my NAS316 ?

I have enables the iTunes Server, and set iTunes on the correct share where my Video's are stored in the hope I can watch them on my Apple TV Box ?

I thought with the iTunes Server running the Apple TV would see something? but it doesn't?

Please help me in setting this up

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: iTunes Server and Apple TV?

You might need to use Plex for this.

Check this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=77179
Message 2 of 5
MavBam
Aspirant

The iTunes Server that's built in to Netgear software only pushes out music files, not video. I think i'm right in saying that it doesn't communicate with any ATV natively either (happy to be proven wrong).

I've a Duo, and would love to have a full on iTunes server add-on, but think the little guy is too puny to run such a thing (real shame!)

The only way I've found to have videos and music files run on an ATV is either to have a modded ATV1 (so long as you can access the base software), or a low spec Mac Mini (c.2006-2007 will do). Either will set you back between 30-90GBP on eBay (dependent on luck and condition), but they will be able to run an instance of iTunes. I have a Mac Mini (Intel) that services my iTunes needs; with it's low power consumption it's significantly better than having a desktop/laptop running in the background all the time, as well as only costing double the price of the neatest software hack for an ATV1 or ATV2 (note, not ATV3) to read files off a NAS without an iTunes server (and therefore, no need to mess around with JB'ing your ATV1 or ATV2).
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The server is the forked-daapd code, which does support video. But ATV requires 'home sharing" - which no linux server does.
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I wish Apple would release an Apple TV which has an App Store so there could be a Plex app made for it.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements