× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: me too: [ReadyNAS Pro 6 Checking root FS]

Bob-Burton
Aspirant

me too: [ReadyNAS Pro 6 Checking root FS]

Hi,

I have the exactly same problem as described in https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-Pro-6-Checking-root-FS/td-p/1046700.

My (legacy) ReadyNAS Pro 6 is running OS6.4.1 and till some days ago it has been runnning fine. However, when the unit was booted up yesterday it shows the squares for each of the six drives and the message: Booting... Checking root FS.

An OS Reinstall seems to do nothing. Still showing "Booting... Checking root FS."

The files on the data share seems to be OK and are acessable via CLI/telnet.

I'm not exactly sure, what is causing this problem, so I don't know, how to resolve it. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6620|ReadyNAS Pro 6 12TB (6 x 2TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This error indicates a problem with the 4GB root volume.

I have sent you a PM.

Message 2 of 6
Bob-Burton
Aspirant

a (short) update on this:

-mdgm spent much time in investigating the problem but wasn't able to solve it yet (Thanks a lot for this!)

-meanwhile I was able to mount the data partition via tech support mode and rsync all files to an external storage

-kernel messages and log files indicates that the root cause for the problems could be some minor filesystem corruptions on the btrfs on the data partition

-as there is no risk to lose data, mdgm recommended to factory reset the system to get a clean state

-I am not willing to do the reset now - not until I've done some further research (I maintain several ReadyNAS instances (>10) and would like to know if there is an other solution than a factory reset.

Just in case I will fail on this: what would a complete factory reset do? To which firmware version would it bring back the system? To the *original* factory default (Raidiator 4.0.1 IIRC) to the latest Raidiator 4.2.27 or to OS6 version 6.4.1?

Is there a way to tell OS6 to initially build a RAID with dual redundancy?

Thanks

Bob

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

A factory reset will install the firmware currently on the NAS.  Whenever firmware is updated, the flash is updated too (as well as the OS partition).

The way to create dual redundancy is to immediately switch to flex raid after install, then destory the data volume.  Create a new one as raid-6 and then switch back to xraid.  Note you do not need to wait for the initial volume to be built.

Message 4 of 6
Bob-Burton
Aspirant

Thank you for the clarification.

Bob

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

The way to create dual redundancy is to immediately switch to flex raid after install, then destory the data volume.  Create a new one as raid-6 and then switch back to xraid.  Note you do not need to wait for the initial volume to be built.

This is the OS6 procedure.

OS 4.2.x is simpler.  You tell the system to use the next disk for redundancy before you insert it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements