× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: mv_xor_status+88

Jupp13
Aspirant

mv_xor_status+88

On my ReadyNAS 104, Firmware 6.5 I changed, one after another, all 4 of the 500GB HDD's to 3GB HDD's to extens the capacity.

All went well up to the last disk. The process of degrading and restoring redundancy was confirmed ok.

During the resync of the last disk, the following error message appeard on the LCD panel of the ReadyNAS 104:

mv_xor_status+88

The NAS cannot be reached neither though Browser (Safari) nor Finder or RadAIR any more, 

What is the best way to continue to save the HDD's and the contest, if possible.

Joe

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 80

Accepted Solutions
Venkman
Aspirant

Hello!

After 50 hours of resynch, my RN104 is now redundant (Using X-Raid).

Do the procedure of upgrading the RN1004 firmware with 6.5.2 T486 fixed the bug.

Just for your information.

Thanks again for your support.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

Message 80 of 80

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jupp13,

Welcome to the community!

Did the resync of the last disk stopped at some point? If you can confirm that the 1st three disks resync just fine, you can turn off the unit and remove the 4th disk that caused this error message. Download the logs and send it us.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 80
Jupp13
Aspirant

Dear Brian,

thanks for your answer. 
Yes, the first three disks resynced properly. After restarting the unit with all 4 disks it shows the message 'page_mapping+0’ for 48 hours now.

I will remove the 4th disk and restart the unit and will come back to you with the log, once I can get access.

Thanks,
Joe

Message 3 of 80
Jupp13
Aspirant

Dear Brian,

is there any direct email-adress I can send the log-files to?

community@netgear.com is bouncing back.

Thanks, Joe

Message 4 of 80
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jupp13,

Were you able to try it? Send it here instead and put attention to my name.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Hi all,

If you remember back in May I posted about my NAS issues with drive failure etc. My ReadyNAS 104 had for the first time 4 x 4TB WD RED HDD's and then things went haywire.

Well after getting the support from the Netgear chaps up the road from me but went through the correct process it was a case that drive 4 failed and in an attempt to get as much data from the NAS as I was unable to backup due to no storage big enough I was transferring from NAS to different HDD's and after two weeks Drive 3 failed and also made it impossible to continue transferring and los the remaining data.

Well I sent both Drive #3 and #4 off to my point of purchase as both were still under the 12 month warranty and about 6 weeks later the courier arrived with a package with two WD Red 4TB HDD's. Now preusming they were new replacements rather than the others repaired as they were all sealed up and everything - I inserted one HD into slot 3 as the NAS was noe back up and running with 2 x WD Red 4TB drives. The NAS went through the process as normal and accepted the 3rd drive and all good - granted it took about 2 ro 3 days for the NAS to re-sync which I found very long (maybe somebody can explain why it takes that long or tell me that this is an issue.) but it was working and was able to continue to add data to the NAS.  I left it then for a day and then added the fourth HDD and then the re-sync started. A few days later I see the following on the display of the NAS:

"mv_xor_status+88"

Please don't tell me I am in trouble again with the HDD's.

Anybody shed any light on this. I have read that someone else had a similar problem and they were told to power off and remove the 4th HDD and re-start the NAS.

So can someone come back to me asap on this as I need to know what would cause the message to appear and how serious is it and is the issue the HDD or the NAS itself. I can't be going through this again. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Ok, not heard anything back so I shutdown and NAS and re-started it and it booted all ok and seemed to be fine as it was doing something withthe data and all files were accessible. Left it continue to do its thing overnight and this morning I see the message has re-appeared again.

Now I could do the above recommendation set by you BrianL but will give another 24 hours before doing that in case you or someone else may have another process to carry out.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys for a bit of help 🙂

Regards

Message 7 of 80
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi njpryan,

Sorry for the late response. I also can't seem to know why this message comes up on certain systems. If you could pass up the logs, we can try to find what's the cause of it and if not. Our Engineering guys could help.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Morning BrianL,

Oh no problem and appreciate the response.

How do I send you the logs ?

Also I went with your previous recommendation to gather the logs after re-starting the NAS without the 4th drive and the data was synced after the 3rd drive was installed successfully.

Upon doing this - with the NAS having only 3 HDD's in it I now have the logs downloaded and the NAS states in the Panel - DATA DEGRADED.

Netgear RAIDar shows the following message while all 3 HDD have green ticks:

Volume data RAID Level 5, Not redundant: 1.7TB (23%) of 7.3TB used

Regards

NJP

Message 9 of 80
StephenB
Guru

@njpryan wrote:

How do I send you the logs ?

email.  Details are here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21543/~/how-do-i-send-all-logs-to-readynas-community-m...

@njpryan wrote:

Netgear RAIDar shows the following message while all 3 HDD have green ticks:

Volume data RAID Level 5, Not redundant: 1.7TB (23%) of 7.3TB used

This is expected behavior - and is consistent with a failed disk 4. Bur there might be something more complicated going on.

I'd start by making a backup of your data right away (if you don't already have one).  Then perhaps test the WD40EFRX with WDC's lifeguard diagnostic on a PC. While there you can zero it (lifeguard has a write-zeros test), and then attempt to re-add it to the array.  But do a backup first.

Message 10 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Many thanks for that.

Please don;t tell me I am going through all of this again. Smiley Sad

I just went through all of this with Support a few weeks aga - Case : 26837699

Where disk 4 failed first and then when backing up disk 3 failed.  I sent back disks 3 and 4 as under warranty and received them back two weeks ago and inserted the first to slot #3 and it synced fine and all was good. Then 48 hours later I inserted disk #4 and that started syning. Went on hols and was connecting to the NAS no problem and 3 days later nothing and had this message appear.

Is it the NAS chassis is the issue ??

I have been trying to contact support to have the case re-open as clearly it is not resolved and may be important.

While the current message states "Data degraded" the web app for connecting to the NAS is showing that since removing disk #4 and booting back up that the data was syncing. This is now complete and message now says:

Resync operation has finished on data. However, the volume is still degraded.

I am sending the logs there now. I don't have the energy anymore in trying to get the data sorted after going thorugh it all before - I am beginning to think this is causing more grief than improving with technology - and I work in technology. At my wits end if this goes pear shaped again.

Hopefully the logs will tell a different story.

Looking forward to a speedy resolution - pretty please.

Message 11 of 80
StephenB
Guru

Just to be clear, I don't work for Netgear (and have no access to the support case information).

Disks of course do fail, so one way or another it probably needs to be re-tested.  I agree it could be something else - the chassis or the firmware.  mv_xor_status sort of suggests it is failing doing RAID parity computations.  

However, since the parity blocks are distributed across all the drives, the system is still doing parity computations now (both using existing partity blocks to reconstruct missing data blocks, and recomputing parity blocks as data is updated).  That could be done in a different way (perhaps with no hardware acceleration), but that is just speculation on my part.

Message 12 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Ah Stephen, my apologies - not having a go at you - its just a bit of frustration.

Did the logs tell you anything ?

Regards

NJP

Appreciate all teh help 

Message 13 of 80
StephenB
Guru

No problem, I totally get the frustration.  I just wanted to be clear that I'm just a user, I can't offer actual support.

@njpryan wrote:

Did the logs tell you anything ?

I normally don't get them (the kb article suggests all mods do, but in fact the email distribuion is limited to Netgear).  If you sent them to my attention, I think you should re-send; including BrianL in the subject line.

Message 14 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Can I put your name too ?

Or is there a link I can send it to you ?

Regards

NJP

Message 15 of 80
StephenB
Guru

@njpryan wrote:

Can I put your name too ?

You can, and if you do then mdgm will usually forward them to me.  BrianL can do that to.

I'm probably not the best guy for this problem though - I am thinking this might be L3 or development.

Message 16 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Thanks StephenL,

Ah yes mdgm - he helped me before with the issue.

But yes email sent

regards

NJP

Message 17 of 80
ShortRaver
Tutor

This happened to me just the other day as well. However I can probably confirm that the drives aren't the problem, as it occurred to both NAS drives I owned.

RN10400s, one on 6.5.0 and one on 6.5.1, each originally with three WDEFRX 4TB Red drives in RAID 5 (X-RAID). I added in a fourth drive to both (same model) and at about 25%, both hit the same error. Freezes the NAS completely, can't access the UI, nothing.

Restarted the NAS units, and resyncing resumed for a few percent before eventually freezing with the same error again.

Not sure where to go with them now.

Message 18 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Hi ShortRaver,

Many thanks for your confirmation of my issue and yes that is exactly what has happened.  Maybe it is the NAS OS that is the issue.

Hopefully this information will be beneficial to the guys here and in Netgear Support.  I am currently opperating my NAS with just the 3 HDD's now and the fourth drive sitting on the shelf waiting for help on resolving it while the NAS itself is flashing DATA DEGRADED on its panel.

But everything is operating as normal. I can add files etc and play files from it too.

Regards

NJP

Message 19 of 80
dswinbank
Aspirant

Hi,

I confirm I also have experienced this issue after adding a fourth drive to my RN10400 last night, it has crashed several times during the re-sync process, does anyone know if is likely to be stable after the re-sync is done or should I just give up trying to add the drive?

Regards

DS

Message 20 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Hi dswinbank,

Basically I have removed the 4th HDD and powered up the NAS and the NAS will then go thorugh the data re-syncing process.

When complete it will state that the re-syncing completed successfully but the DATA will continue to say DATA DEGRADED.

While I have this still flashing on the control panel of the NAS - everything is working fine. But as always be weary. I am waiting on StephenL or BrianL to give more information to help with the issue.

Personally I am beginning to think that it is not the HDD that is the issue but either the OS of the NAS or the NAS hardware itself when a 4th HDD is inserted.

We wait and see 🙂

Regards

NJP

Message 21 of 80
Migmat
Guide

Dear all

Have also the same problem since yesterday, and also when i added the 4th hdd. Now the NAS is unreachable...

Hope Netgear will find the solution as i'm desperate and fear for my data as i don't have other hdd for my huge backup

Message 22 of 80
Migmat
Guide

Re : mv_xor_status+88

For information i'm using 4 identical hdd (WD RED 6GD) approved by netgear

Kind regards

Message 23 of 80
njpryan
Aspirant

Hi migmat,

Yep sure looks to be more and more like a NAS OS issue. Granted I am still on 6.5.0 and not going to update to 6.5.1 until this is sorted.

All my 4 drives are identical and from same source - WD RED 4TB

Regards

NJP

Message 24 of 80
StephenB
Guru

@njpryan wrote:

Yep sure looks to be more and more like a NAS OS issue. Granted I am still on 6.5.0 and not going to update to 6.5.1 until this is sorted.

There is an entry in the 6.4.2 release notes: "Fixed a potential hang on RN104 systems due to a race condition when using the CPU's RAID5 offload engine."  I've been wondering if there is a connection (e.g. there is still something wrong there).

Message 25 of 80
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 79 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements