× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: power is out of normal range.

rubberscorpio
Aspirant

power is out of normal range.

I have been receiving regular messages on my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus indicating Power is out of Range.

RAIDiator: V+12 power is out of normal range [expected: 12.00 current: 11.14].
RAIDiator: V+12 power is out of normal range [expected: 12.00 current: 11.14].

All the power has been checked and is working. I have seen indications that this indicates the ReadyNAS is failing. After checking all the power, I also had an issue one of the drives went offline, but then came back online and is currently resyncing. This seems to be happening regularly. Is this a power issue, or a failing device. The ReadyNAS Ultra 2 has an external power source, if it is this and not a bigger issue can this be replaced.

I am also seeing the following in the logs that indicates a linux bug.

server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading question key. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)
Oct 13 14:38:35 avahi-daemon[2856]: avahi_normalize_name() failed.
Message 1 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you died backing up your data and doing a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and see in if there is any change?

Can you email me your logs?: http://readynas.com/kb/faq/misc/how_do_i_send_all_logs
Message 2 of 16
scotterm
Aspirant

I'm aslo having the same error which is reoccurring every 10 minutes or so..:

V+12 power is out of normal range [expected: 12.00 current: 11.14].

My unit is only about 3 years old and I hope the PS is not the issue. It happened a few months ago and then stopped, and now its back.
I shut it down each night automatically and it starts at 7am each day.

Can you help as its emailing me every 5 minutes so I had to disable the email reports...

I've upgraded to the latest firmware as well.

Thanks
Message 3 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like hardware failure to me, probably the PSU.

We do have a procedure for attempting to recover data using our new models with Intel CPUs e.g. the 312

Assuming the disks and array are fine it should be straightforward.
Message 4 of 16
scotterm
Aspirant

What do you mean by the procedure for data recovery? My disks are fine and its still working but giving me this error regularly.

Can I get a replacement PS?

Thanks
Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We don't sell replacement PSUs for the Ultra.
Message 6 of 16
scotterm
Aspirant

It's only just 3 years old and so I have to replace? Warranty is only just finished...
Message 7 of 16
silvercue
Aspirant

I have also started to get this error on my Readynas Ultra 2.0. This followed these activities that I did in an attempt to get the front USB 3.0 slot to work:

1. Updated radiator to latest version
2. Updated firmware to latest version
3. Added the 2nd USB drive to 2nd rear slot as I could not get front slot to work

I have now disconnected the 2nd USb drive and am not getting errors currently but no jobs or load is underway. i will post back after 24 hours
Message 8 of 16
silvercue
Aspirant

So basically I got this error when 2 USB HDDs were plugged in.

When I reverted back to one I got no more errors. I left it longer that 24 hours so backup jobs ran and it still generated no errors with only 1.

Good to find the cause and halt the errors but disappointing I can't use both drives at the same time.
Message 9 of 16
silvercue
Aspirant

Ignore my last post. Although removing the USBs seemed to hep the messages are back with nothing attached. Get log entries a few times a minute.

Do I need a new NAS ? I am using a readyNas Ultra 2.
Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It does sound like either the PSU is failing or some other hardware.
Message 11 of 16
silvercue
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
It does sound like either the PSU is failing or some other hardware.
OK thanks. based on that it would seem safest thing is to get a new NAS and migrate to that. I guess it is inappropriate to ask for your advice on what one, but I would like something that I can simply lift out my 2x3TB disks and drop into a new one and off I go.

So open to advice people 🙂
Message 12 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro would do that, but do note that our support team doesn't support 2nd hand purchases and you may struggle to get one of these new.

If you move it to e.g. a 312 there is a procedure to attempt to recover the data, but it would be simpler to put new disks in the new NAS and transfer your data across your network.
Message 13 of 16
silvercue
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro would do that, but do note that our support team doesn't support 2nd hand purchases and you may struggle to get one of these new.

If you move it to e.g. a 312 there is a procedure to attempt to recover the data, but it would be simpler to put new disks in the new NAS and transfer your data across your network.

Thanks. I was hoping it would be more straight forward. i don;t want to buy new disks too. There is 3TB of data in millions of files, it would take forever to transfer too.
Message 14 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Where do you currently backup the 3TB of data?
Message 15 of 16
silvercue
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Where do you currently backup the 3TB of data?
It is not all backed up. Only important things like photos (a lot) and some music and documents. No movies. So all in all less than a TB is backed up. That is backed up to a USB Drive attached to USB 2.0 slot and also to another NAS on the network.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements