× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: pure performace and connecting losses after update to V 6.4.0 on RN 2120

pure performace and connecting losses after update to V 6.4.0 on RN 2120

After automatic update to V 6.4.0 our RN 2120 v2 performace is really pure.

SMB-Connections to Windows 7 Clints are not stable and User/Group rights a ignored.

We need a fast hotfix for those problems because we can use our ReadyNas as fileserver at the moment?

Any quick help?

Andreas

Message 1 of 22
EKroboter
Apprentice

Adding to this, our 516 is behaving so bad after the 6.4 update. Constant connection drops, unresponsive UI, a total nightmare. This completely sucks.

Message 2 of 22
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello akustikbuero,

Please check this forum discussion:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyN​AS/rn104-updated-to-6-4-0-and-possible-solution-t...

You may also try turning off disk spin down and see if the same problem.

Regards,

Message 3 of 22

Betreff: pure performace and connecting losses after update to V 6.4.0 on RN 2120

Correction of my first post:

"We need a fast hotfix for those problems because we can't use our ReadyNas as fileserver at the moment?"

list of my attempts without any improvements:

- try turning off disk spin down -> still SMB-connection losses

- try with SMB+ app to downgrade SMB-version of SMB to 2.0 an 2.1 -> still SMB-connection losses

- delete BOND0 and now using only one network device that is connected to switch with static IP adress > still SMB-connection losses

- user/group rights -> You have to select all single user in share-setting to give them read/write rights (grouprights are ignored!) and have fun, if you have more then 10 colleagues!

After contact with netgear support, the suggestion was: reinstall OS with boot-option -> I'll try to night and if I experience any improvements, I let you know!

best regards

Andreas

Message 4 of 22
EKroboter
Apprentice

Betreff: pure performace and connecting losses after update to V 6.4.0 on RN 2120

Does an OS re-install wipe out the data? I'm having soooo many problems sinc 6.4 than I'm contemplating starting over (and putting Netgear on my blacklist).

Message 5 of 22

netgear support say: "NO data loss on OS-reinstall -> I'll have to try it at night and all difficulties I may will experience, you'll read tomorror!

I have 2 backups (USB an another NAS) -> data loss is not a real problem for me.

best regards

Andreas

Message 6 of 22
EKroboter
Apprentice

Great, thanks for the input. I managed to cancel the disk balance task that was locking up our unit and now it's working fine apparently.

I also have data backups, data loss is not a real issue, but the time that it would take to re-install and restore all the data is.

Message 7 of 22

How did you managed to cancel the disk balance task that was locking up your unit?

Message 8 of 22
EKroboter
Apprentice

Via SSH. If you have it enabled, you can root into it via ssh and do:

btrfs balance cancel /data

Were /data is the path to your volume.

Mine was completly locked up, so I pulled the plug and restarted. The first thing I did was cancel the balance, waited a while and everything came back online.

Message 9 of 22

Sh... SSH is disabled by default and I can't connect via SSH... that a pain 😞

Message 10 of 22
EKroboter
Apprentice

You can try a hard reboot, and see if you can enter the web ui quick enough, you may have a couple of minutes to enable ssh before it locks up.

Message 11 of 22

Hello again,

I tryed to reinstall the OS -> no data loss but no improvments to pure performance!

I send so much time to sort out problems, those I'm not caused! Now I'm asking: How is goning to pay me for that time?

Now I was doing a total RESET to default to get back on my real job! I hope the READYNAS will be OK after synchronizing (wipe out) the harddiscs to start from scratch... 😞

When I'll copy all data back from backup to Readynas. When it fail again I have to buy something else.

Good luck to everybody, how is having a backup!

will by continued...

Andreas

Message 12 of 22
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello akustikbuero,

Can you please try contacting support center again before doing the reset? Inform support expert the steps you have already tried. It should be escalated then.

Regards,

Message 13 of 22

@JennC: Sorry but I have a real Job to do and this ReadyNas is just a thing to work with as a fileserver. I tryed chatting with support and I tryed calling the support and lost over a weeks time.

My ReadyNAS is working perfect now and this RESET to factory default took me just 2 days. All harddrives are new formated und everything seems ok.

My tip is: BACKUP your data! 🙂

Regards

Andreas

Message 14 of 22
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

"- user/group rights -> You have to select all single user in share-setting to give them read/write rights (grouprights are ignored!) and have fun, if you have more then 10 colleagues!"

This issue is fixed and will be included in next firmware firmware. Thank you.

Message 15 of 22

@YeZ: Thank you I may beeing your unpaid beta-tester.

Message 16 of 22

summary after updating to 6.4.0:

- after update -> no data, no user-access, no Admin-Web-Interface -> No ReadyNAS

- a copple of hard-resets - short access and SSH enable -> with message from Netgear -> you may loose support from Netgear it you enable

- 1 week research in netgear-community and discussions -> list of feature to disable

- OS - reinstall without data-loss but no performance improvements

- reset to factory default, start right from the beginnig and recopy data from backup (3 days of time)

- disable snapshots, second network-card and loadbalancing, bit rot protection etc. (all features I bought a smart NAS and NOT a big network-disk)

- set all my 21 colleges and my 10 agents by hand on my 12 shares, because grouprights are ignored (guess, how many clicks)

- and even when I look in my (german) Admin-Web-Interface, an see lots of mistakes in this "UPDATE" -> quality NOT acceptable

What have I left after disable session: Just a unreliable big network-disc without user-management. This sort of disk I can buy in ebay for 100€, but I payed 1200 € for a smart modern NAS...

!!! NETGEAR WAKE UP !!!

What I miss: at least apology from netgear and an official date for a hotfix just to survey how long all affected user of READYNAS have to suffer, befor it'll be fixed?

best regards

Andreas

Message 17 of 22
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Please contact me through readycloud@netgear.com, we can put you into the beta program. Thank you.

Message 18 of 22

No thx a lot, and I don't think you have the right attitude for the situation of releasing crapy updates.

Message 19 of 22

@YeZ: How about that: I rip that READYNAS out of the server rack, dismount all discs and send that useless brick back to you. I'll get my money back and buy me something, what do the job and I can do my job, there I get payed off and we'll never hear from each other in lifetime! I guess, best opportunity in my eyes.

Message 20 of 22
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Sorry if I let you feel that I don't have the right altituide to handle this. I sent that message because I probably misunderstood your post of "Thank you I may being your unpaid beta-tester." I was thinking you are interested in testing beta firmware.

Message 21 of 22
EKroboter
Apprentice

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. I would be open to participate in a beta test, but we only have one NAS unit and it's in a production environment.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements