× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Cannot copy - file path too long" NV+

markysharp
Aspirant

"Cannot copy - file path too long" NV+

Hi all, again!

I have now, so far, no problem to transfer smaller files in large quantities (like mp3's etc),
it work flawlessly even over my wireless network. I have a media player (Tvix M-7000A) which
is also now connected to the NV+ and it plays movies and music like a dream!
(everything through my router Netgear WNR3500 and a D-link DWA-547 wireless NIC on my PC)

BUT - as soon as I try to copy a movie file (like 4,5 gb) over to the NV+ it always starts really
good, the speed is high....but after just a few minutes I receive the error message:
"Cannot copy - file path too long".....and the file names is NOT too long.
I've understood that this has to do with the communication between my PC (with XP) and the
NV+....correct? My setting is now (in NV+): "auto-negotiation" and MTU 1500...I have tried
all kind of settings, but it doesn't help (when I change, I receive the same error when transferring
the mp3's etc as well)

I followed a tip received earlier to transfer my movie files via USB (through backup function
in NV+) - ok, no problem, but it took 2 days to complete the copy (1TB).

I really want to avoid running back and forth with a USB drive to transfer files to my NV+, it
seems very stone age in my opinion! So, this is my last issue that I really hope to solve...any ideas?
Message 1 of 10
dbott67
Guide

Were any of the big files created with non-Windows computers (i.e. OSX or linux-based computers)? If so, there may be some illegal character that's causing CIFS to choke:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30018&p=165871#p165871
Message 2 of 10
markysharp
Aspirant

All files was created on my PC (running XP SP3), I'm converting all of my original dvd's to ISO image files (with clone DVD)
so that I can play them on my Tvix via the NV+.
But all of a sudden I start to get this message sporadically even when transferring small files like mp3's...so it's not as stable
as I initially thought...:-(
When this message pops up - it freezes the connection and I have to restart the router to get access
again....annoying (and I have all the latest firmwares)
It seems that having a wireless network isn't so good afterall, I really whished to get rid of the cables...(my NV+ is in antoher room)
Is it really "bullet proof" to transfer large ISO files if I purchase a gigabit switch and NIC and fall back on cables once again?
Message 3 of 10
dbott67
Guide

markysharp wrote:
All files was created on my PC (running XP SP3), I'm converting all of my original dvd's to ISO image files (with clone DVD) so that I can play them on my Tvix via the NV+.

Okay, good to know.

As for the copy problem, are you using wireless when this problem happens? If so, what happens if you do it via wired ethernet? Basically, we need to see if the problem is related to wireless or the NAS or something in the middle --- it's a process of elimination and isolation.

If the wired connection allows you to transfer the files without a problem then we can start trying to figure out what's happening with the wireless configuration.

Btw, what version of firmware are you running on the NAS? Have you updated the firmware on the router to the latest version and updated your D-LInk NIC drivers?

It might also be related to the SMB disconnect problem here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24929
Message 4 of 10
markysharp
Aspirant

Thanks for the attention dbott67! yes, it happens through the wireless connection. For now, I can't really answer about
the wired connection (because I just refused this option...until recently 😉 ), anyway, I have today (couldn't wait for suggestions) ordered 2 Netgear GS105 gigabit switch and a looooooong UTP Cat.6 cable so that I can make an "invisible" installation in my house and finally a new NIC card (INTEL PRO/1000 GT DESKTOP) even though I already have 2 inbuilt gbbit in my asus P5N32-E SLI...just to avoid any "shitty" compability issues...(money for all this is nothing compared with what I've already spent on the NV+ with 4TB HDD + the wireless, as for now, "shitty things").

I'll will inform you about the result when the new things is up and running! (during next week...if I'm lucky)

I'm using RAIDar 4.1.6. and I have the latest firmware for the D-link NIC (which is in fact very good for the internet connections for my other computers in the house...but that's it...not for file transfer....as you know)

The "SMB disconnect problem" doesn't seems to have any relations to my problems, the lucky guy could at least transfer files up to 1,5gb...I would cry of happiness if I could reach that far :cry:
Message 5 of 10
markysharp
Aspirant

Re: "Cannot copy - file path too long" NV+ SPEED PROBLEM SOLVED!

After having the new Intel NIC and GS105 gb switch and Cat.6 cable installed...everything runs GREAT 😃
(just transferred a 5gb file in just a minute or so, without Jumbo and having MTU at 1500 - maybe it
can go even faster if I enable the Jumbo frames - but I'm satisfied with the current setup, it finally work!!)

It's obvious now that tranferring large ISO file over wireless is totally useless, it just don't
work with the NV+!

At last, the life can go back to normal! (until next problem...fingers crossed 😉
Cheers!
Message 6 of 10
EthanGreg
Aspirant

I had the similar problem and faced it a lot of times. I often solve this type of problems using "Long Path Tool". Try it and it may surely help you.
Message 7 of 10
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

This is windows issue, copy the file which path too long to anther windows PC from your PC, the issue also occur.
Message 8 of 10
GabrielNar123
Aspirant

Long Path Tool helped me in this situation. http://PathTooDeep.com
Message 9 of 10
ShashiKant
Aspirant

Try "Long Path Tool" is also useful in situations where you see the error messages: can not read from source file or disk, there has been sharing voilation, can not delete file or folder, the file specified is too long or not valid.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements