× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

raid1 on 628x

rrmen1955
Aspirant

raid1 on 628x

how can i setup raid1 using an 8 bay 628x, with 8x10t drives
Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: raid1 on 628x

@rrmen1955 wrote:
I have some very precious an valuable data, I need to store. Raid 1 on 8x10tb harddrives should yield me approx 40tb completely redundant. The same data written on 2 disks. however, when i configure for raid1, it changes to raid6. I cant figure out how to make it stay raid1

I think you are confused on your RAID modes.

If you truly want RAID1, then you need to create 4 volumes, one for each pair of drives.  Each volume is 10 TB, and has two drives that are mirrored.  So 40 TB of total space.  But you need to manually create shares on each volume and balance the space.

But from what you say, it sounds like you actually want RAID10.  This is a hybrid RAID mode  (1+0) that is described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels#RAID_10_(RAID_1+0)  It would give you a 40 TB volume, comprised of mirrored pairs.

RAID6 would protect against any combination of 2 disk failures, but always fails with 3 or more disk failures.  RAID10 fails with some combinations of two disk failures, but will succeed with some combinations of 3 or more drive failures.

Please read through the wiki article, and get back to us on the raid mode you want.

FWIW, RAID in any form isn't enough to keep your data safe.  It is helpful, but you do need a backup of your data on other devices in order to keep your data safe.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

RAID1 or RAID0?  I'm not sure why you would want a 10TB volume that is redundant 7x over, which is what RAID1 would give you.  Of course, I'm not sure why you'd risk 80TB of data with a single drive failure with RAID0, either.

Message 2 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@rrmen1955 wrote:
how can i setup raid1 using an 8 bay 628x, with 8x10t drives

Do you mean RAID0 or RAID1?  RAID1 is disk mirroring, so you have 4 volumes of 10 TB each.

RAID0 would be a single 80 TB volume that has no RAID redundancy.  FWIW, I agree with @Sandshark that RAID-0 is quite risky, especially with a volume that large.  If any disk fails, then the entire volume is lost.

Message 3 of 12
rrmen1955
Aspirant

I have some very precious an valuable data, I need to store. Raid 1 on 8x10tb harddrives should yield me approx 40tb completely redundant. The same data written on 2 disks. however, when i configure for raid1, it changes to raid6. I cant figure out how to make it stay raid1
Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@rrmen1955 wrote:

I think you are confused on your RAID modes.

If you truly want RAID1, then you need to create 4 volumes, one for each pair of drives.  Each volume is 10 TB, and has two drives that are mirrored.  So 40 TB of total space.  But you need to manually create shares on each volume and balance the space.

But from what you say, it sounds like you actually want RAID10.  This is a hybrid RAID mode  (1+0) that is described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels#RAID_10_(RAID_1+0)  It would give you a 40 TB volume, comprised of mirrored pairs.

RAID6 would protect against any combination of 2 disk failures, but always fails with 3 or more disk failures.  RAID10 fails with some combinations of two disk failures, but will succeed with some combinations of 3 or more drive failures.

Please read through the wiki article, and get back to us on the raid mode you want.

FWIW, RAID in any form isn't enough to keep your data safe.  It is helpful, but you do need a backup of your data on other devices in order to keep your data safe.

Message 5 of 12
rrmen1955
Aspirant

as the article says raid1 is mirrored disk, the same data written to 2 disks, giving me 40tb out of the 80tb. if any 1 disk fails it may be replaced without loss
Message 6 of 12
rrmen1955
Aspirant

i understand the need for offline backup, this is to have another level of security.
Message 7 of 12
rrmen1955
Aspirant

i will try creating 4 volumes of (2x10tb) giving me 10tb each volume, as you suggest. i was trying to create 1 volume (8x10tb) for 40tb usable. i will let you know if this works
Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@rrmen1955 wrote:
as the article says raid1 is mirrored disk, the same data written to 2 disks, giving me 40tb out of the 80tb.

Well, no.  As the article says "RAID 1 consists of an exact copy (or mirror) of a set of data on two or more disks; a classic RAID 1 mirrored pair contains two disks."  If you set up a single RAID1 volume using all 8 disks, you'd have a 10TB volume that was mirrored on all the disks.  Anything written to the volume would be written to all the disks.

The ReadyNAS won't let you do that - it just supports the "classic RAID 1" in the article.  A mirrored pair of exactly two disks.

@rrmen1955 wrote:
 i was trying to create 1 volume (8x10tb) for 40tb usable

That would be RAID10, not RAID1.

As far as redundancy goes, the main difference is that if you ran into a case where redundancy fails (requiring at least 2 disk failures), with RAID10 you'd lose the entire volume.  With RAID1 you'd only lose the specific volumes where both disks had failed. Either way you'd need to restore at least some data from backup.

Practically speaking, the main disadvantage of using 4 volumes is that you need to roughly balance the space used on each one (keeping adequate free space on each, and making sure the largest share fits comfortably on a 10 TB volume).

Message 9 of 12
rrmen1955
Aspirant

thats why i am doing as the person said yesterday, make 4 volumes.
Message 10 of 12
rrmen1955
Aspirant

they havent finished resyncing yet, but it does appear to be working
Message 11 of 12
rrmen1955
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. making 4 volumes of 2x10tb raid1 got me the redundency I wanted and 40tb usable. Thanks again
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements