× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readyNas pro 6 upgraded to 6.6 disk size

grish
Follower

readyNas pro 6 upgraded to 6.6 disk size

hello,

reading this subject https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-Pro-Business-Edition-Hard-Drive-Upgrad...

I have a question : is it possible to put bigger disk than 4 To on the pro 6 once you have succeed to upgrade it to 6.6 ?

thks 

grish

Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. It doesn't have the expansion limits that RAIDiator-x86 had and OS6 has better support for high capacity disks.

Message 2 of 6
grish2
Aspirant

thank's for the quick answer.

Is there a compatibiliy lst that we can trust to choose HDD ?

If I update to 6.6, refill from scratch my 3 To disk with data

is it possible to upgrade later to 6 or 10 To disk without to erase everithing again ?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@grish2 wrote:

Is there a compatibiliy lst that we can trust to choose HDD ?

Netgear has stopped updating the compatibility list on legacy NAS (and they would be testing OS 4 anyway).

You can refer to the RN526's list, that should be reasonably safe.  Or just stick with NAS-purposed lines (WDC Red, Red Pro; Seagate IronWolf, Ironwolf Pro).

@grish2 wrote:

If I update to 6.6, refill from scratch my 3 To disk with data

is it possible to upgrade later to 6 or 10 To disk without to erase everithing again ?

6 TB and 8 TB are known to work - I don't recall anyone using 10 TB off hand.

You do need to watch out for mounting hole positions.  Many new large drives are using "alternative mounting hole positions" in order to create more space inside for disk platters.   With those drives you'll end up with only 1 (possibly two) of the mount pairs aligned with the holes in the disk tray.  It might be possible to drill some additional holes in the disk tray.

Message 4 of 6
grish3
Aspirant

sorry for the third alias, but a bug make impossible to be recognize, i've got no login password field to fill but a adress mail / password that I must validate with a "user name button" ???

anyway, my question : once i'm in 6.6, with six terra saved in RAID 6 on my 3 To disk

if I want instal 6To disk in raid6, will I be obliged to erase everything agin ? 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@grish3 wrote:

anyway, my question : once i'm in 6.6, with six terra saved in RAID 6 on my 3 To disk

if I want instal 6To disk in raid6, will I be obliged to erase everything agin ? 

No, you'll just add one disk at a time and wait for it to resync.  You'll see the volume expand when you upgrade the fourth disk.

System performance will be slow during the resyncs, and it will take quite a while to complete the upgrade project.  If you can afford the down time, then starting clean with 6 TB drives and restoring the data from backup will be quicker.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements