× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynas 2100 won't boot

scottsab
Aspirant

readynas 2100 won't boot #19520084

Unit was locked up(could not log in, access shared folders or find on RAIDar) on September 10, 2012. Held power button to shut it off and the hit again to turn it back on and it did. everything was again accessible. Today, September 26th, got email about backup failure, failed Monday night as well partway through. Was logged in as admin and was trying to download the logs and it locked up again. First tried rebooting as I did before. 15 minutes later still not working. Shut down again with power button and unplugged unit. Plugged back in and it booted but is still not accessible in RAIDar, from shares, through web interface. What should I do now????
Message 1 of 7
scottsab
Aspirant

Tried rebooting a third time, no change. The 4 HD lights are lit and solid. One Network light blinks, only one cable is connected. Blue power light is OFF. How can there be no "power" yet all the hd's be on:?
Message 2 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Open a tech support case at my.netgear.com and post your case number. If within 90 days of purchase (or if you have an active ProSupport contract) you should instead give support a call as that's quicker.
Message 3 of 7
scottsab
Aspirant

I am not impressed with their website. my.netgear.com It verified my product was registered and still under warranty but did not have my email so I could not log in or have them send me a new password. Online chat failed the first try and the second time said it was only good for products under 90 days old. First email support submission failed. second try finally worked
Your Case No. is : 19520084
Message 4 of 7
scottsab
Aspirant

Re: readynas 2100 won't boot #19520084

Reply from support was to reinstall OS and if that didn't work then do a tech boot. After OS reinstall still could not access it with RAIDar. tried twice, second time waited an hour just to make sure it wasn't just really slow. Tech boot, still not accessible with RAIDar. Move device to out of server room and into office so It could be plugged directly into router with computer running RAIDar and DHCP server. I can see from the DHCP client list that the Mac address listed on the NAS was assigned an IP address, and it even changed numbers after retrying the OS boot. Still cannot see the NAS in Raidar or by directly typing the IP into the browser.
Message 5 of 7
scottsab
Aspirant

Problem solved. The System partition was filled with Log files. Tech support had me update RAIDar to newest version, 4.3.4. Still could not see NAS. Next plug NAS directly into my computer and change my IP to match default subnet on the NAS. It defaults to 192.168.168.168 when there isn't a DHCP server available. It didn't see it at first but I switched to a crossover cable and then I could ping it and see it in RAIDar. Moved it back to router and could now see it in RAIDar, don't know why that made a difference. Next I installed putty and was able to telnet into the NAS. Next install a remote access program, teamviewer, and sent support tech information to connect. He immediately could see the system drive was full and we decided to delete them rather than try and download them. After this we had no problem rebooting the device and connecting to it. We updated the firmware while we were at it as well. Everything is now running well. I have 2 additional comments. 1st the logs are the only place to see how full you system partition is getting(disk_usage.log). So you either need to download them regularly and delete them to make sure you have space or eventually you will fill up and won't be able to download them and you will crash. I had no indication that it was full until I tried to download the logs and by then it was too late. I guess the other thing you could do it delete the logs if you are having problems so you will know if it is a space issue, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having logs in the first place. 2nd, the support tech was very knowledgeable about fixing the problem, but there was a big lag between my comments and his replies. They either came next day or late that day, after 10pm, when it was too late to try his advice. I think if his workload was lessened we could have had them figured out on the first or at least second day. The downside was we were without access to our files for 5 days except for backups. The upside is all out stuff is still there now.
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you are comfortable with SSH you can also check the usage of the OS partition doing e.g.

# df -h
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements