× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynas314 not powering on

aniraghome
Tutor

readynas314 not powering on

Hi NAS experts
I have a readynas 314 bought 2013-14 it has been good so far but yesterday it did not turn on meaning did not power on. It was connected to ups.
Tried below did not turn on
1. I tried to turn on manually
2. Plugged to wall outlet it turned on for 2 seconds and turned off then it did not power on. Saw welcome screen.
3. Power brick has green light.
In reading some old post i understand its probably the psu that stopped working. If i need to replace a psu for this NAS where can i buy it in 2024? Or is there something i can try. It worked sunday it shutdown with timer but never started monday morning.
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@aniraghome wrote:

In reading some old post i understand its probably the psu that stopped working. 

The power brick is the PSU.  You can find third-party replacements on Amazon and other web sites.  They are pretty inexpensive, so it is reasonable to do a risk-buy.

One challenge is that most of the sellers do not disclose the amperage.  The Netgear adapter is 7.5a

Message 2 of 15
aniraghome
Tutor

Hi Stephenb
You were spot on on amp mine is 7.5a as well.since mine was a neatgear it had it clearly labelled. While searching on YouTube for nas not powering on i found videos like this where they are replacing power supply within unit https://youtu.be/V2jqdueAn4E?si=yk7kB1k_LVXaaXIL

If the issue was with powerbrick will the green light still be on like in my picture attached? Or it could be faulty with light on?
Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

It still is possible that the power brick isn't delivering enough power to spin up the disks.

But there are other failure modes (disk failure or chassis hardware). Which is why I said it was a "risk buy".

You could see if the system boots up with the disks removed - label the disk by slot number as you take them out.  

If you have a spare disk, you could also try a factory install with only that disk inserted  That would be a better test, since it that works it rules out the chassis hardware.  If it does work, then make sure you see if the NAS can boot with that disk in any slot.

Message 4 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Your NAS does not have an internal power supply like many of the older models as in that video.  If it is the power supply that's the issue (and the likelihood it is is high), that's a good thing -- less expensive and easier to replace.

If you do replace it, here are some pointers:

• If the vendor doesn't state the current (or wattage -- 7.5A @ 12V = 90W), and especially if they blur out or "strategically" cover the label, avoid it like the plague -- it's probably an underrated supply.
  • It's best to avoid supplies listed strictly for LED lighting.  They often cannot handle the inrush current of a NAS and may not be the best regulated supplies.  Look for one that lists a NAS or cameras, monitors, and similar equipment.
  • Be mindful that not every power supply with a 4-pin connector uses the same pin-out.  The Synology NAS use the same pin-out, so you can look for that if ReadyNAS isn't listed.

If you are looking for a specific recommendation, I have used the TAIFU 4-Pin 12V 8.33A  supply sold on Amazon.  It has a little extra power, which can be a good thing.

While your NAS does not have an "internal power supply", it does have internal circuitry that converts the 12V to the voltages necessary to run the NAS.  Those, unfortunately, are not repairable, as are pretty much everything inside the NAS.  (Well, they might be repairable, but Netgear has provided no schematics to make it easy to do.)  So if a replacement supply doesn't fix the issue, you are likely out of luck unless it's just a bad connector.

Message 5 of 15
aniraghome
Tutor

Will hope for the best that it works with the brick. Thank you again for the buying tips.
Message 6 of 15
aniraghome
Tutor

Tried this happen to have two spares but still not powering. Will go for the new power brick. Thank you again for the tips
Message 7 of 15
aniraghome
Tutor

Update purchased TAIFU 4-Pin 12V 8.33A from amazon plugged it to nas it started couple of seconds it turned off again. Before i give up on nas anything i can try? I plugged on direct outlet and also on several different slots on ups. When i fully unplug both end and replug it starts i see welcome screen for 2 secs and gone.
Message 8 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't know specifically about the 314, but in most ReadyNAS the welcome message is stored in the display unit, so it gets displayed if there is just 5V power (and not necessarily very well regulated 5V at that).  There are a lot of things that can be wrong and cause the NAS to not boot.  Starting to boot and then shutting down has fewer potential causes, but it's still pretty long.  None are repairable.  My best guess is that it's associated with the power-on circuit or +3.3VSB that powers it since you can't turn on via the button.

Did you see what happens without the drives?  

Do you have a backup of the data?  If not, then you're either going to need a replacement ReadyNAS or a data recovery method.  So, knowing Netgear has exited the market, are you thinking you want to replace the NAS with a (used) ReayNAS you'll keep using for at least some time, or are you ready to move on?  That can help determine the best data recovery path.

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Starting to boot and then shutting down has fewer potential causes, but it's still pretty long.  None are repairable.  

What about a memory failure?  Is that a possibility?

Message 10 of 15
aniraghome
Tutor

When i tried to boot diskless same deal it wont power on.
As far as backups i am covered i have 2 copies of my readynas in 2 external portable hdd and 1 copy in cloud.

So the new nas i buy will be a synology, qnap or explore ugreen. Once i buy that i can copy data from one of my external hdd from sunday when the readynas last worked.

On the new nas since netgear is out what would you suggest. My needs are storage,stream photos,vidoes from nas to tv,phone etc,ability to back pics feom phone to nas,good UI stable software,email notifications for failures and stuff.
Message 11 of 15
aniraghome
Tutor

Memory as in RAM .i still have the original ram i can try and replace it any suggestions on NAS rams?
Message 12 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

A memory issue usually results in the system locking up, not shutting down.  But if you have compatible replacement RAM, then you can try it.

Message 13 of 15
aniraghome
Tutor

This is another area i am struggling its easier to find ram for pcs but not nas. Where and what can i buy.
Message 14 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

There is nothing special about the RAM in a NAS vs. that in a PC.  Just open the unit up and see what's currently in it.

My statement was "if you have compatible RAM", as in already own some.  I doubt seriously that a RAM replacement will fix your issue, so you're likely just throwing money away by trying if you have to buy it.  Had you originally said you had a second power supply and using it changed nothing, I wouldn't have suggested buying yet another, either.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements