× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

shares within a share

mleung
Aspirant

shares within a share

We have a projects folder which contains over 50 projects. Management can access all the projects and project managers can access their own specific projects. I created the projects folder, made it a share, and set the permissions for management access for the share and that went well. However, when I try to set the permission for each individual project folders, the permission on the right hand side doesn't seem to respond. Any help would be appreciated.

Readynas NV+v2 flexraid-raid5
Dashboard 1.0.0.271
RAIDiator 5.3.10

Mike
Message 1 of 4
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Re: shares within a share

Are you using local users or AD?

Active Directory, once joined to the domain, should all be managed using Explorer.
I think you'll have a difficult time setting permissions using Local users on folders inside a share.
Message 2 of 4
mleung
Aspirant

Local users. Wanted to test it out before moving it to AD security.

So there is no way to have a share within a share using local users?

Thanks,

Mike
Message 3 of 4
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

There is no ability to have a share within a share. The shares get created at the root directory of the data volume. The GUI allows you to set permissions on the Share level and on file access, but that's about it.

If you're already considering AD, then I would just try joining it and setting your permissions via Explorer. It will make life so much easier.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements