× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ssh access denied

vividpath
Aspirant

ssh access denied

Hello,

I am trying to ssh from cygwin terminal to the readynas.
ssh <ipAddress>@<adminName>
However it always is returning "Permission denied" after 3 trials!!

I am entering the same admin credentials to login onto the device settings using browser, which is the below URL and it works.
https://<ipAddress>/admin/

Can someone let me know what am I doing wrong?

Thank you!!
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ssh access denied

The login for SSH is 'root' (no quotes) not 'admin'. For SSH to be enabled you need to activate it under System > Settings > Services.
Message 2 of 9
robbowa
Aspirant

Hi!

I'm having the same problem with ssh. I have an RN312, OS6.2.2 with SSH enabled (System > Settings > Services...green light under SSH).

Trying to log in with either 'root' or 'admin' or my username fails every time. I've used 'Shell in a box' from my ReadyNAS Apps page and also Putty. Running windows 8.1 here.

Any suggestions?

Cheers! 😃
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try changing your admin password then try connecting again
Message 4 of 9
robbowa
Aspirant

Thanks, I tried your suggestion but I still can't connect. Rebooted the RN312 as well which made no difference. Should I just give up trying to access my ReadyNAS with SSH?
Message 5 of 9
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

what is the command that you use when trying to connect? The command in the first post of this thread is incorrect as it is reversed. It should be ssh root@NasIPAdress

It should work with putty. The first time you try connect you have to accept the message concerning the certificate.
The root password is identical to the admin password.

Bye,
Eskender
Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Good pickup EskenderNG.
Message 7 of 9
robbowa
Aspirant

EskenderNG wrote:
Hello,

what is the command that you use when trying to connect? The command in the first post of this thread is incorrect as it is reversed. It should be ssh root@NasIPAdress

It should work with putty. The first time you try connect you have to accept the message concerning the certificate.
The root password is identical to the admin password.

Bye,
Eskender

Thanks for the tip EskenderNG, but the connection was still refused with the command the correct way around. mdgm was helping me privately, and the action that worked for me was to reinstall the OS via the boot menu. I can now connect both via putty and via 'Shell in a box' on the Apps page.

Thanks very much to both of you for taking the time to help users in need! :worship:

Kind regards,

Rob.
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just a man. Glad I could help.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos