× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unable to horizontally expand Raid5 (X-Raid)

Lennardo
Tutor

unable to horizontally expand Raid5 (X-Raid)

Hallo,

i want to expand my ReadyNAS 516 horizontally. I have 3x 6TB WD Red in ther and want to add a 5TB WD Red to expand volume size.But this dont work:

If i add the disk the Readynas recognize the new 5TB HD and show on System/Volumes. It told me i have to kill the existing volume on these disk. After kill all data i want to format this HD. But if i start formating (at System/Volume/click on new HD/Button Format) i see a few seconds  a rotating wheel, then this wheel disappears and thats all. This disk dont get formatet. There is no error message displayed (and even not in log). And this 5TB HD is not added to Raid (i use X-Raid).

Any Idea what i can do?

I expected that the NAS will add this disk automatically to the existing Raid and give me more space (after resync)

The 5TB HD was in an old ReadyNAS314. It works well. If i put this HD in a PC i can work without problems, so this disk is okay (SMART said too it is okay).

Any Idea what i can do?

Thank you

Lennardo

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: unable to horizontally expand Raid5 (X-Raid)

With X-RAID the disks you add must have at least as high capacity as the existing disks. So you would need to add a 6TB disk not a 5TB disk.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With X-RAID the disks you add must have at least as high capacity as the existing disks. So you would need to add a 6TB disk not a 5TB disk.

Message 2 of 4
Lennardo
Tutor

Thank you.

But why i cant format this disk? e.g. to use it as backup-volume or so. If i try to format there happen nothing.

Thanks

Lennardo

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Lennardo wrote:

But why i cant format this disk? e.g. to use it as backup-volume or so. If i try to format there happen nothing.

You need to first switch to flexraid if you want to create a second volume.  since you are using OS 6, your existing volume will remain intact.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements