× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: want to mount and backup readynas duo drive in linux pc

ak2k12
Aspirant

want to mount and backup readynas duo drive in linux pc

hello everyone. What I am trying to do is mount a readynas drive in linux so that I can back it up because I want to put it back in the readynas to do a factory reset but i don't want to lose some of the data. The reason I am doing this is because I am selling it and I am planning on getting a duo v2. If nothing else, I would do the following: formatting one of the two readynas drive, mounting that drive in my linux machine, use the other drive in the readynas and copy the files over smb or http.

I would prefer not having to format one of the drives though and if I can mount the readynas filesystem in linux it would be faster.

I installed lvm2 packages and tried to mount the fs but I get this error:
Error mounting: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/c-c,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you thought about other ReadyNAS like the Ultra 2? The Ultra 2 has the same UI as the Duo (v1) and faster than the Duo v2.

Why not just get the new ReadyNAS and transfer the data across your network, then do the factory default on the Duo and sell the old ReadyNAS?

If you really must mount the drive using a Linux machine (this really is a last resort) take a look at http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306
Message 2 of 4
ak2k12
Aspirant

I like the duo v2 interface better because its dark from what I have seen, but I will read more about the ultra. Because, I have to ship the one I sold by tomorrow and I don't have the new one yet. Yes, thank you, this worked perfect! I just had to run the file manager as root, if not, I would just see an empty directory. Thank you for the quick response.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Ultra 2 is an Intel. There is a greater range of add-ons available for these.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements