× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: windows not showing ReadyNAS name in network

aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can we have this on the list of things to fix in the older units, particularly NV+ v2 (ARM), and for a real bonus my old Duo (Sparc).
Message 76 of 94

I all. I have the same issue also. Suddenly I cannot connect my laptop by smb to the nas. Also from android by fxexplorer or nasutils. The only way to fix temporary is to reset the router and then see all. Now I have d6300 but I'l change to another (provider one) and I hope will be better.
Message 77 of 94
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

norrispackard 6.2.3 beta has a fix for this problem.
Message 78 of 94

mdgm wrote:
norrispackard 6.2.3 beta has a fix for this problem.

Thanks for the news. You mean wasn't a router problem?
Well, i'll try to upgrade to beta 😄
Message 79 of 94
rich00777
Aspirant

Hi  

ReadyNAS 102,  windows 7,  firmware 6.4,  no router just switch,  static IP assigned: 10.0.0.89

the drive is mappable, but does not show up in network devices????

any ideas?  thanks!

Message 80 of 94
rich00777
Aspirant

update finally i got the readynas showing in devices turned out had the wrong subnet mask in the readynas network config now all are 255  much better.  all pcs see the readynas under network as if it was another shared pc

Message 81 of 94
Drover
Guide

@rich00777 wrote:

update finally i got the readynas showing in devices turned out had the wrong subnet mask in the readynas network config now all are 255  much better.  all pcs see the readynas under network as if it was another shared pc

rich................sorry I do not quite follow what you did. Could you explain in noob english please?

I have exactly the same problem................although it worked fine in the first build of Win10, it is just since installing the November Win 10 build that I have lost easy access to my readynas in Windows Explorer under 'Network'................yet under 'My Computer' it is still there. It is just that I canot drag and drop files like I used to.............very fruastrating. By the way, and going back to the original Win 10........I find that I have now lost my readynas access in 'Network'......................wierd!!

Hope you can help please?

Message 82 of 94
StephenB
Guru

@Drover wrote:

@rich00777 wrote:

rich................sorry I do not quite follow what you did. Could you explain in noob english please?

He was using a static address in the ReadyNAS, and made a mistake in how he configured it.

If you are using DHCP in the ReadyNAS (the default) then his solution wouldn't apply to you.  If you are using a static address, it's probably fastest if you share the settings you are using.

Message 83 of 94
Drover
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

.................... If you are using a static address, it's probably fastest if you share the settings you are using.

Thanks Stephen............but again, I don't know what you mean. Everything worked fine in the first Win10 build, it is only since going to the upgraded Win 10 build (just released Nov15) yesterday that I lost what I previously had and could see and do (including drag and drop) in Windows Explorer view under 'Network'. So whatever I had previously was great, but now it isn't...............what do you mean by "share the settings you are using" please?

As I said, I can see my readynas under 'My Computer' as a 'Network (1)'...............but can't see it listed under 'Network'.

Do I need to going into 'sharing' and change things like for the second option of "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" as some others have suggested perhaps?

Message 84 of 94
rich00777
Aspirant

i am not expert at all but i had  255.0.0.0 in my subnet mask where my other machines where 255.255.255  the IP I assigned manually 10.0.0.X  (static IP since that is on a switch not a router).

2 days later i figured the problem out...

Message 85 of 94
StephenB
Guru

@Drover wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

.................... If you are using a static address, it's probably fastest if you share the settings you are using.

Thanks Stephen............but again, I don't know what you mean.

If you don't know what I mean by static address, then you aren't using one.  Rich00777 had a different problem from yours, and the solution he needed isn't something you need to worry about.

@Drover wrote:

As I said, I can see my readynas under 'My Computer' as a 'Network (1)'...............but can't see it listed under 'Network'.

Do you know the name or IP address of the readynas?  

If so, start by opening file explorer and entering \\nas_name or \\nas_ip_address into the address bar (using the actual name/address in place of the italics).

When you do that, do you see a share list?  Or do you get an error of some kind?

Also, I am not sure sure what you mean by a 'Network (1)'.  Could you post a screen shot?  Bring up the relevant window, and put the mouse over it.  Press the "alt" and "PrtSc" keys at the same time.  Then open paint, and paste (either right-click or ctrl-v).  That should capture the window into an image.  You can then attach it to the post. 

@Drover wrote:

Do I need to going into 'sharing' and change things like for the second option of "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" as some others have suggested perhaps?

If your issue is simply that you don't see the NAS in the left pane of file explorer, then no.  Let's chat a bit more, so I understand more precisely what is going on.

Message 86 of 94
Drover
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

If your issue is simply that you don't see the NAS in the left pane of file explorer, then no.  Let's chat a bit more, so I understand more precisely what is going on.

Yes, that is it in a nutshell Stephen...........I can no longer see my NAS in the left pane of file explorer.......but only since updating to the latest November Win 10 build a day or so ago. Previously, I could always see my NAS with the earlier Win 10 build. I can still access my NAS through its web page, same as I could do previously as well. It is just more of an inconvenience now as it was all so easy having it in the explorerer view when working with files when I wanted to move/transfer the to/from the NAS.

Anyway, I will get some screenshots for you as soon as I can too. I am just annoyed it is no longer visible or usable in file explorer 😞

Message 87 of 94
Drover
Guide

This is what I mean.............If I select 'This PC' you can see my regular "AM-PC" under 'Network' .......previously I also had "NASDROVER" there as well. You can see my NAS on the Right Hand side. I am trying to get my NAS to appear under 'Network' on the Left Hand panel just like it was a few days ago!

NAS.jpg

Message 88 of 94
StephenB
Guru

Thanks for the screen shot.  Now I see what you meant by Network (1).

So technically, what is happening is that Windows isn't "discovering" the NAS.  Regrettably, there's a long history of Windows not doing that consistently. I've had times when the NAS shows up on some PCs, but not others.  At the moment, it is showing up everywhere (including 2 Windows 10 systems).

So I don't have a silver bullet to offer.  The good news is that the NAS is accessible (you can click on the network location in the main window, and you can create desktop shortcuts to NAS shares).

That said, I'd check to see that the NAS is in the same workgroup as the PC.  This is not the same as the homegroup.

On the NAS: look under accounts, then authorization.  You'll see a workgroup entry.

On the PC, enter "sysdm.cpl" in the windows search (bottom right), and that will launch a screen that lets you change the workgroup.

Message 89 of 94
Drover
Guide

Thanks StephenB, very much appreciated. I did some playing last night and managed to get a shortcut to the NAS 'shares' that I most offten use...............so all good for now. It is just frustrating that the new Win10 'build' stuffed my previous happy setup.

I will also implement your suggestion re the checking of workgroup tonight.

Again, thanks for suffering through this with me.

Message 90 of 94
webZplus
Star

Hello, I'm not sure if this reply is in the correct spot but after searching for a solution myself I read many of the comments here I also have had problems over the last few days since upgrading the Firmware to 6.4.1 on my NAS RN202 - I wasn't sure if was a Windows (10) update that caused it or something else but everything changed and my NAS202 stopped showing up under 'Network' - I was able to improve this by moving some files and folders into different directories as it seemed that the more files the unit had to refresh (or what ever the NAS does) the more often it couldn't find things, I also found that some of my permissions seemed different (always take a screenshot of what works) but the REAL kicker was when I discovered that under Accounts >> Authentication >> Workgroup Name: this had somehow become VOLUME... I would never have called it this opting for the more obvious choice of WORKGROUP... once I changed this everything started working correctly again including on my Laptop connect wirelessly to the network. Might be something to check 🙂

Message 91 of 94
Drover
Guide

Well John.............thanks for the Christmas present. I had got around my original problem using the shortcut method, but I thought I would give this one last go after checking your post...........and it damn WORKS!!!!

Finally back to how I wanted it all. Thanks so much for this last bit of info.

Have a great holiday.

Message 92 of 94
webZplus
Star

Hey Drover, I'm glad this helped someone, I get really frustrated when Tech companies make changes to essentially consumer targeted products and change things around that previously worked for no real gain 😞

Some of the suggested 'fixes' are way to technical for the market the products are targetted at and many of the fixes are just hacks or work-arounds to solve problems that products (in a perfect world) shouldn't even have... Merry Christmas 🙂

Message 93 of 94
Drover
Guide

I couldn't agree more webZ..............and for anyone's interest, everything is running OK with the ReadyNAS and its Folders still being listed under my 'Network' directory, so I can easily drag and drop files without the need for making any shortcuts or links and I am still very happy 🙂

Regards,

Drover

Message 94 of 94
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements