× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

x-raid 4 disks to 3 disks

feetgn
Follower

x-raid 4 disks to 3 disks

Hello all,

I have a 4 disk X-RAID setup (RN214), but I wanna downsize to just 3 disks (what I used to have). How can I rebuild the X-RAID array without destroying it first? Thx

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: x-raid 4 disks to 3 disks

FWIW, it is possible with ssh - the procedure is described here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Reducing-RAID-size-removing-drives-.... Note that this is risky, so backing up your data before you begin is particularly important. 

While using ssh might save a bit of time, I agree with @Marc_V that the normal process (do a factory default, rebuild the NAS, restore data from backup) is the best way in most cases.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@feetgn

Welcome to the Community!

We wouldn't advise reducing your disk on using RAID5 configuration and changing your configuration to 3 disk RAID5 is not possible without destroying the volume, it only works when you are adding a disk to change your RAID level. 

It might be possible using SSH but data needs to be secured first as it may result to the volume getting destroyed. It is better to reconfigure your RAID by destroying it first and then creating a new volume then put back the data.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, it is possible with ssh - the procedure is described here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Reducing-RAID-size-removing-drives-.... Note that this is risky, so backing up your data before you begin is particularly important. 

While using ssh might save a bit of time, I agree with @Marc_V that the normal process (do a factory default, rebuild the NAS, restore data from backup) is the best way in most cases.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements