× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Enable SSH/Telnet when Frontview is Down?

dtperko
Aspirant

How to Enable SSH/Telnet when Frontview is Down?

I am guessing maybe log files are too large, etc. and that is why my ReadyNAS 4 Frontview won't open (rebooting, etc. does nothing). I cannot access the web admin.

So, I was thinking maybe telnet in to poke around - but alas, it seems I need Frontview access to enable this add-on.

I'm stuck - how can I gain SSH/telnet access?

Thanks-

Dave

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4
Message 1 of 4
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How to Enable SSH/Telnet when Frontview is Down?

Hello Dave,

SSH access is not possible if the Admin page is not accessible. The only option is to boot the NAS on tech support mode (telnet). That will give local telnet access to your NAS, please click here for guide on how to access the boot menu of the NAS. Make sure to select the exact model of your readynas device since each NAS has different way to access the boot menu.  

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
dtperko
Aspirant

Yup - got it! Thanks for helping me out. I am still having intermitted web server issues on this unit, but at least I can get in via Telnet to see what might be the cause.

-Dave

Message 3 of 4
Hopchen
Prodigy

Keep in mind that:

1. Tech support mode uses a hardcoded password that Netgear likely won't hand out (for good reason). This mode is used by NTGR support. 

2. Tech support mode is a low level diagnosis mode. Nothing is stated in this mode. No raids are running, no volumes are mounted (neither data nor OS). So that probably won't be useful to you. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements