× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS reinstall via USB

loha
Aspirant

OS reinstall via USB

My ReadyNAS 314 was updated with latest OS 6.7.4 the 4th June 2017. Some day after is was closed down according to calenda action. After that it was sleeping some days and Iturned it on yeaterday with a fault message: "mount_block_root+1f1". I have spent some time to see how to solve this and from discussions I have read it looks like the solution is to reinstall the OS via USB.

Thats the point where I am now. I hav followed the instruction to create the USB with the latest OS 6.7.4 and I have tried with different USB sticks but without any success. On the LCD I got the same message as the first time.

I plugged in a monitor via HDMI and can readout the follwoing line at the end:

"Kernel panic ‐ not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown‐block(2,0)"

It is unclear where to insert the USB. I have used both but no difference in the result.

Any solution on this?

//Lars-Olof

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: OS reinstall via USB

The process for desktop units with an old BIOS and a backup button (e.g. your RN314) is very simple:

1. Press and hold backup button
2. Press power button to turn the NAS on
3. Continue holding the backup button till it boots off USB.

If you are unable to recover the system using USB Boot Recovery you could open a case for a hardware issue and support could try to assist and if that fails they'll  verify that you are the original purchaser from an authorised reseller and if that checks out proceed to do a RMA.

There are suggestions on the community about using Rufus to create the USB Boot Recovery key and alternative files that can be used to boot to a tech support mode like state (can help if your USB key has no partitions on it).

Personally on units such as yours that have a HDMI port I find hooking up to a HDMI display helpful. You'll see the difference between a normal boot and booting off USB.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
Bigbearf
Aspirant

I would contact mdgm via pm and ask for help. He helped me in the past.  As far as I recall you have to do the transformation in a specific manner. 

Bigbearf 

Message 2 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You'd connect the USB key to the USB port on the front of the NAS.

Message 3 of 10
loha
Aspirant

Thanks,

I have really tested ALL variants with the same result.

I boght a new USB3 today with no difference. The Linux stop at the sam point with the same message that I can see on the connected monitor.

It's getting urgent, I need to access the 314.....

Message 4 of 10
loha
Aspirant

I bought a new USB3 today with same result.

I will see if I can find some more unique variant tomorrow.

Thanks for some names to seach for.

My RN314 is configured with two 4T HDD and the other two are still free.

What about all the pushings.

That is very uncler what buttom to use, how long it should be pressed and the order to be done.

Sometimes its the Power and the restes and others say it should be the Backup.

Thanks for helping.

Message 5 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

In my experience, older is better here.  I found a 2GB Lexar I had in a drawer works great.

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The process for desktop units with an old BIOS and a backup button (e.g. your RN314) is very simple:

1. Press and hold backup button
2. Press power button to turn the NAS on
3. Continue holding the backup button till it boots off USB.

If you are unable to recover the system using USB Boot Recovery you could open a case for a hardware issue and support could try to assist and if that fails they'll  verify that you are the original purchaser from an authorised reseller and if that checks out proceed to do a RMA.

There are suggestions on the community about using Rufus to create the USB Boot Recovery key and alternative files that can be used to boot to a tech support mode like state (can help if your USB key has no partitions on it).

Personally on units such as yours that have a HDMI port I find hooking up to a HDMI display helpful. You'll see the difference between a normal boot and booting off USB.

Message 7 of 10
loha
Aspirant

I have tried this a couple of times.

My understanding is that the NAS cannot find the USB during the boot.

The stop on the monitor looks the same all the time.

The secuesn of pusing the bottoms, are the time sensitive, if that could be the case.

Any special requirements on the USB stic, more that whats stated in the instruction already.

Message 8 of 10
loha
Aspirant

Than means I should not give up with the USB stiks I already have. In the coming weekend I have time to do some more experiments.

Message 9 of 10
loha
Aspirant

It is now solved.

I used the steps given by mdgm, and I used an "old" USB.

The NAS did not indicate it was booting from the USB. The procedure ended and everything was "turned off". What is the next step when everything looks like to die.

What I did was to start up the NAS in the normal way and everything worked in its normal way.

This was the first time I used this community.

Without all the ideas I have got was very helpful.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements